SAU Community

Replace rings after bead hone?

Hey guys,

Replacing the crank in my 26/30 currently. Some of the bores have very light surface rust. I want to run a bean hone through the bores to clean them up, question is do I need to replace rings when doing this also? The current piston/ring setup has less than 1000k's on it. The CP ring packs are like $150 each, ill do it if necessary but I'm just not sure.

Will de-glazing the bore with a bead honer effect how the current rings have bed?

Cheers.

I should have probably been more specific, I'm running a bead hone through just to take some of the light surface rust off. The flex hone tools are specifically for de-glazing, which is just why I said that. It was run in correctly with proper run in oil and varying revs. I dare say I would have had significant blow by had they not have been, for which it had zero when it was running and made really good power. Literally the only thing that failed was the thrust.

Cheers anyway Kiwi. I found the ring packs for $50 each, so I'm going to check all the clearances and chuck new rings on again anyway. What's $300 on one of these engines, I just can't see how they will seal properly again in my mind if I try and re-use the old rings after flex honing it.