SAU Community

R32 RB25DET Manual conversion tailshaft

Hi, Im in the middle of converting my r32 automatic transmission to an rb25det manual gearbox, I know that the r33 yolk is supposed to be swapped on the r32 for the tailshaft and some people are saying you might have to get the tail shaft cut down too, Basically im just wondering if i got the r33 yolk and got it put on the r32 auto tailshaft if it world fit, The gear box and tranny seem to be the same size so i dont think id have to get it cut but thought id ask for some help. Also if anyone knows if i need to get a custom mounting bracket for the rb25det manual to fit properly or the r33 one will fit.

Thanks guys!

tail shaft.JPG

No, you cannot just take the yoke from the uni joint on one and replace the same piece on the other. It will be the wrong length (even if the uni joints are compatible, which I'd assume they are not).

You have to take the front half of the R33 tailshaft and the front half of the R32 tailshaft to be cut and shut together. You end up with a front half of tailshaft where the front end suits the gearbox and the back is R32.

In order to do this successfully, you need a measurement of how long the resulting front piece needs to be, because it's not the same as either the R32 or R33 piece. If you go to Hardy-Spicers almost anywhere in Australia they have done so many of these that they already know what length you need. Otherwise you will need to very carefully measure the required length from the back of the gearbox to the centre CV joint, allowing for movement of the spline in the gearbox.

59 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Also if anyone knows if i need to get a custom mounting bracket for the rb25det manual to fit properly or the r33 one will fit.

Are you talking about the gearbox crossmember? There are 3 of these commonly found in these Nissans, with various gearboxes. Marked A, B and C. You will need one of them. I think, because you're starting with an auto, you might even get lucky and need the one you already have. But if it won't work, just go to the wreckers and buy and/or borrow the other 2, with a promise to return the one you don't end up needing.