SAU Community

how to adjust tein suspension?

kuro

hello, we recently bought an r33 with a set of tein coilovers, not too sure which model but they are height and damper adjustable. they have green springs and the shocks are gold with green ends.

we have managed to adjust the height to the spec we want it. but how can we soften the damper amount? the ride is so bumpy on the littlest nook and cranny and its getting a bit annoying.

what do we need to move or adjust?

or maybe is it possible to just get softer springs?

can anybody please help us out? and let us know what we should do?

thank you in advance.

regards,

kuro :)

Unfortunately most of the Japanese sports suspension (Tein, Tanabe, JIC, etc) is going to be rock-hard. There should be an adjuster nut in the centre of the top of the shock absorber, I'm not sure which direction is for the softer settings but common sense tells me anti-clockwise.

Softer springs may help but I think most of the ride harshness is from the shock absorber. Custom springs for those large shocks is also going to cost a fair bit of money.

You can actually download PDF manuals for Tein shocks. There are some manuals here:

http://www.tein.com/ti/tnissan.html

but not for the R33 GTs-T but the shocks should all work fairly similarly.

I think you will also find that raising and lowering the ride height changes the spring rate. So an incorrectly adjusted ride height could cause issues.

I have a set of Tein's on my Cefiro and they rock hard. It's the price you pay for having coilovers. Whiteline website has a good article on coilovers vs "normal" shocks. It lists pro's and con's. Worth a read. The article is located here:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/coilo...r_H4s_2000a.htm

Hope this helps.

• Like 1