SAU Community

Low beams not turning on - R34

I’m having an issue with my R34. I left my headlights on and the car battery died. I went out to jump start the car and left my headlights on. It obviously didn’t start, so I turned my headlights off and started the car again. But now my headlights don’t seem to turn on at all, and only 1 of my high beams work. I checked all the fuses in the engine bay and they all are good. I thought maybe the bulbs somehow got blown but I checked for continuity and they seem okay. I next checked the wires connecting to the bulb for continuity and they seem fine too. I’m wondering if maybe I somehow fried the turning signal stalk by starting the car while the lights were still on. 

Any ideas of what might be happening? 

thanks in advance! 

Get the wiring diagram out. Remove the headlight switch loom plug and probe for where the power is supposed to be. That will tell you if you've missed something upstream (like the real fuse that you should have checked). Probe for continuity across switch terminals that are supposed to be continuous when turned on. Plug it back and in and probe to see if power turns up on the output side of the switch.

Etc etc etc.

Somewhere there will be a wire that is broken or burnt, or a fuse that is is open, or a switch that has melted or burnt in the wrong position. The wiring diagram shows you what you need to be looking for, and where.

I'm still a little confused about this.... I removed my turn signal switch from my car and I'm trying to test if it's good or not. If I understand the diagram correctly, in the Lighting SW area of the diagram, I set my switch to 1ST position and check the pins for continuity. So I put my multimeter on Pin 1 and Pin 9 and set my multimeter to resistance. I test the pins but it it seems like there is no continuity there. 

Am I reading this diagram wrong? What do the Hi/Lo/P stuff mean?

Not sure if it makes a difference but I don't have an AUTO mode on my switch. My switch also doesn't have all the same pins that are shown in the diagram. I've attached an image of the wiring diagram for convenience.

Wiring Diagram

I'm sorta a noob at electrical so anything helps.