SAU Community

R33 NEO Swap - Using NEO Harness

Hey!!

We are building my fiances R33.4 currently. My question is regarding wiring of the NEO engine. I am running a Powertune digital dash (w/GPS for speed). There will be no stock cluster. Will a NEO engine harness work in an R33?

I have an R34 NEO PnP Haltech with MAP, IAT, Oil, and Fuel pressure sensors wired via the Haltech expansion harness. Obviously the motor will run, but is there any other chassis related components that won't function if using the NEO harness plugged into the Haltech? Thank you!!

Build List:
CP Pistons
King Bearings
Manley Rods
PRP billet pump gears
Nitto head drain
GT3076R
Haltech Platinum Pro PnP
CD009 transmission

IMG_2561.jpg

2 hours ago, stellarimports said:

Will a NEO engine harness work in an R33?

Yes, but there are inevitably differences in what the engine harness connects to on the body side. You need to work through both harnesses and sort out the differences. So, actually, the answer is no, if you just want to drop it in.

2 hours ago, stellarimports said:

I am running a Powertune digital dash (w/GPS for speed)

You will need to generate a 0-5v square wave speed signal to give to the ECU and other computers so they don't freak out. The ECU less so, seeing as you're using Haltech, but the ABS computer (and auto TCU if present) will want it. The stock speedo head does this for you, and if you remove it.....

The differences you will need to sort out pertain to alternator wiring, air-con wiring (if you're going to use R34 parts), gearbox loom wiring possibly, plus the probably differences in the ECCS relays and other relays near the ECU.

9 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Yes, but there are inevitably differences in what the engine harness connects to on the body side. You need to work through both harnesses and sort out the differences. So, actually, the answer is no, if you just want to drop it in.

You will need to generate a 0-5v square wave speed signal to give to the ECU and other computers so they don't freak out. The ECU less so, seeing as you're using Haltech, but the ABS computer (and auto TCU if present) will want it. The stock speedo head does this for you, and if you remove it.....

The differences you will need to sort out pertain to alternator wiring, air-con wiring (if you're going to use R34 parts), gearbox loom wiring possibly, plus the probably differences in the ECCS relays and other relays near the ECU.

Okay, this is helpful. The car doesn’t have ABS or AC and I’m using a CD009 trans.