SAU Community

BMW engine conversion

finch

Hey guys,

Alright here I go. I own a 1983 e30. The engine is on its way out, the cylinders were down on pressure and a couple of other little things. the car is currently off the road. I believe the car to be straight. There is no rust, the owner before me was an enthusiast so the car is in excellent condition.

Instead of getting a new car I thought I would try and fix the one I have. And make a machine out of it at the same time. It was suggested that I put a SR20 in it. I have been looking at getting a sr20 front cut. But i thought if i could why not try a RB20 or even better a RB25....

I have done a bit of research and have found (i hope) that its not that hard to do, (with the sr20 det anyway) gearbox lines up with the hole and everything, Nissan nose needs to be welded onto tail shaft, the main problem is that the exhaust is on the wrong side, which you cant do anything about. Now obviosly there would be more involved with the 6cyl conversion

Just wondering if anyone has done or seen done a similar engine swap, and any other problems ect. or a contact to someone who has, (brisbne area)

All suggestions/ help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

*i know nobody likes/ takes seriously, newbies.... but i am fully serious about this and genuinly need some advice/help

thanks again

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, thanks heaps for that.

i have been told that the engine mounts are not that hard to fabricate.

but i wouldnt know for sure.

hmmmm didnt think about the rotor.... but i think i rather not do a rotory

though (nothing against them)

would there be any major benifits getting the rb25 over the sr20? when it

comes to mods etc

and can make just as much power as an RB25.

easily?

yeah i was leaning toward the sr.

and plus i know a mechanic who has done a sr converion in an e30.

thanks for all the response... and that link!

i just though that if i could get some power i would see what would be involved in puttting an rb25 in there instead

what about the rb20, would that have any advantages over the sr? less tourqe?

wow thats some pretty serious power from a 4cyl.

could you explain the whole cv joints being a problem please. (im kinda new to cars)

i understand what a cv joint is, i think. is what your saying that they would need to be upgraded?

I personally don't like the idea of a 4cyl in the BMW, I am used to and prefer the sound of a nice tuned sounding 6cyl coming from them.... one of my mates has a 3-series with a 1JZGTE in it putting out 218kw @ wheels and that goes plenty well ;)

a mate of mine had an E30 323i JPS, with the 2.3L it would break CV joints sometimes when dropping the clutch at high RPM.

Then he put the 2.5 out of a 325is and he broke his CVs almost every week.

Also there was a black E30 with an SR20 in it ,on one of the Serious Performance vidoes and he had the same problem he actually broke one while taking off on the video.

So i would say while your modding everything upgrade your rear CV joints as well because its a pain in the ass grettin the car towed everytime you break a CV.

"DO IT ONCE AND DO IT RIGHT" best adivce ive ever been given

good luck with the conversion

my uncle and i might be doing the same to his old BMW 2002 ;)

I personally don't like the idea of a 4cyl in the BMW, I am used to and prefer the sound of a nice tuned sounding 6cyl coming from them.... one of my mates has a 3-series with a 1JZGTE in it putting out 218kw @ wheels and that goes plenty well :)

what about the E30 M3? they were 4 bangers ;)

oh yea and so were the 2002 tti 4cyl, single cam, turbo.

i see, thanks 2guup2, and yes when i do do the conversion i intend to do it properly! no shortcuts.

he he.. the old 2002, that would be a cool car to do a transplant in

bmw 4cyl arent that great with the exception of a few:

the s14 m3 (1986 to 1991) engine have roughly 200 bhp from factory (2 - 2.3L (i think) 4cyl) , there was another version(1990), with up to 240. they are an awesome 4cyl n/a engine i would put one of those in if i thought i could get one cheap and i knew i could get parts that were redilly avaliable... but yes the 6s are a lot better

lithium: do you know any major/ minor problems you friend had with his conversion?

I had an E30 323i with a 2.9L conversion. Blew two diffs, one gearbox, no CVs. Go figure.

Torque monster.

Build a 2.9 with an GT28 hanging off the side...

Block and head from E30 325i, E30 323i rods, custom overbore pistons (sorry can't remember the exact size), crank from E36 328i.

I love 2002tii... my old man and I restored one about 10 years ago :(

Here piccy :(

my mate has the 2.5L in an E30 -- soon to go turbo, motor has just been rebuilt due to huge Cam wear! goes alright with just the 2.5L bottom end - 2.3L head and Lotus forged pistons! wierd combo but when the turbo goes on should be quick! only thing with these cars is lack of room down the car for exhausts.. 3inch would scrape out big time!

only thing to watch that i know of with these things is the rubber mount from gear box to tail shaft!