SAU Community

Timing Belt Change

HIPSI

Ok i need a bit of help here, just changed my timing, fan, powersteering, ac belts.

I made sure all the timing markers etc all match up but after starting the car, it wont idle, just stalls everytime you take your foot off the accelerater.

Does this sound like i need to get the timing readjusted or something else??

Did you plug the sensor back in???

Also check your AFM plug if you disconnected that

Firstly yes everything that was disconnected has been reconnected correctly.

All the timing markers on the pulleys all match up with the correct markings on the belts.

I sorted out the stalling issue by adjusting the idle up slighty, but the car still feels very underpowered, any ideas????

check the timing , did you mark the position of the cas before removal ? did you put it back at the same pos ? my guess is your timing is a little retarded thats why you had to up the idle . so check timing with a timing light , about 15 deg .

check the timing , did you mark the position of the cas before removal ? did you put it back at the same pos ? my guess is your timing is a little retarded thats why you had to up the idle . so check timing with a timing light , about 15 deg .

Yeah i marked the cas and put it back on the same mark, im taking it into a workshop 2morrow to get the timing checked.

Yeah i marked the cas and put it back on the same mark, im taking it into a workshop 2morrow to get the timing checked.

dont forget that a couple of mm out it will be a few degrees and thats enough to make it slugish , provided you did everything right and didnt bend any valves , if you did it would be missing though so you should be able to tell .

when you check the timing you will find

out , hopefully she will be ok .

scuzzy , yes thats right if on top dead centre but carefull you can bend valves if you let it jump hard and hit top of piston .

when you have the timing belt off you shouldnt move the crank or cams until belt is back in place .

so when I pull the belt off will the cams move off top dead centre on their own

no but if you bump them they will move like 90 degrees just like they sprung , like you said they did . what i said was be carefull not to let them jump like that cause you may bend valves ( you are moving the valves and not the pistons ) if they hit the top of the pistons .

if you are replacing the timing belt make sure you know what you are doing , incorrect timing can stuff your engine as will incorrect tension , even the bolts that hold the tensioner and iddler pullies must be tensioned right . do them to tight and you break the bolts not tight enough and they come undone .

if you havent got a manual do a search in these forums and you will find how to do timing belt .

Got the car back this afternoon, and the timing belt was out by just one tooth on the exhaust cam side. DAMN it made such a big difference to way the car would drive. All fixed now though.

how did you manage to put it in one tooth out when the belt has lines marked on it and each line has to match the mark on each pulley .

how did you manage to put it in one tooth out when the belt has lines marked on it and each line has to match the mark on each pulley .

Good question :wassup:

Guess i just rushed it abit, i was sure i had it all lined up but i was wrong.

But doesn't matter now, i can enjoy driving the car again.