SAU Community

Nissan Stagea Intercooler

burkey22

Hello all.

I am expecting my 97 Stagea RS4 by the end of next week. I think I'll have the only one in Tassie but I could be wrong. I am having trouble finding a bolt in intercooler kit. Does anyone have any ideas? Do aftermarket R33 GTS-T Intercoolers fit?

Also if I buy a boost controller to up boost (I'm thinking Turbosmart E-Boost) will I need to get it re-tuned?

Oh and will an Apexi RSM be able to get rid of the 180kmh limit?

Any help would be awesome. I'm keen to find out heaps about these cars.

Thanks guys and girls.

From what I can tell (I'm looking into this as well), the R33 GTS-t kits *should* be the same. Mind you, I've been looking at kits that bring the pipes back to the factory location so you can use the factory pipes from where they enter the engine bay.

There may be a difference in the kits that has the return pipe coming back into the engine bay under the battery/fuse box and then over the motor etc... As the Stagea's have the battery in the engine bay and the R33's don't, there's may be problems when cutting the hole for the return pipe...

J

Hi Iburkey22, am doing as J said, bringing the pipes back in the original location. The intercooler I am using flows top to bottom, not end to end like the usual Skyline intercoolers. So the intercooler inlet and outlet are both on the same side. It used to be in the front of our R32 GTST, and the pipes line up perfectly. It also looks like the bottom brackets will line up in the Stagea. The top brackets are completely different, but for the R32 GTST I fabricated my own anyway, so I will just make some more to fit the Stagea.

Consequently I am probably not a good example for you. I will post up some picures anyway when I do it, it's a few weeks away though. :D

what are the specs of your intercooler?

It's nothing special, it was an unused spare for a Production race car (a Toy... Toyo..... Toyot...... I can't seem to get it out). They had a "homologated" spec for racing, flows a bit better than the normal Supra one, but it really cools well. I have tried it up to 225 rwkw and it has a couple of PSI resistance, but I have plenty of PSI to spare, so it doesn't worry me. Best of all it's just sitting in the rack doing nothing, with all the pipework ready to go. Should only take a couple of hours to fit.

If it doesn't come up to scratch, I have an standard R32 GTR intercooler I can use, but I don't have any pipework, silicone hose or clamps for it. I used them all on the R32 GTST. Plus I would only get carried away and make up a set of pipes with 120 degree bend at the throttle body. Then I would need to change the BOV and all the little pipes and fittings. It's a 2 day job to get it right, when all the time I should be working on race cars, not tow cars.

Speaking of which, gotta go :cheers:

so do the supra ones have the inlet and outlet on the same side?

or am i interpreting what u said wrongly?

Yep, that's why I originally used it on the R32, it was easy, quick and cheap (as in free) and the pipework only took me an hour or so to fabricate. :D

would this mean less cutting out to fit the pipework into a stagea?

On the R32 GTST, I designed the alloy pipework so that it fitted straight up to the standard steel pipework, starting from where the standard intercooler was removed. If you look at it from the engine bay it is impossible to tell that an aftermarket intercooler was fitted. No "cutting" was required, so I can't see any reason why there would need to be any on the Stagea. There is heaps more room in there. But I won't know for sure until I remove the Stagea bumper bar and get into fitting it.

Hope that helps :D

Mad Wagon. I noticed in the pics you had an RSM on your dash.

I want one of these to get rid of the speed cut in my car. I just wanna wind her out on a desolate road near my house one time to see how fast she'll go. Plus I'll know how fast when my normal speedo goes off the clock. Do these work O.K.?

Thanks for your help so far. I'm very grateful. I think I'll go with the HKS kit I'll let you know how I get on.

I have a Blitz kit in my car, it was marked WGNC34 but looks exactly like R33 kit, does the old long route around the back of the cooler though so battery isnt factored in.

I did use an R33 GTS-t standard intercooler and air box to get my car through compliance.

Prepare to be bombarded with questions cobber.

Where did you buy it? How much? Who fitted it? Is it any good? What did you do with regard to the Battery? Relocate it to the boot or buy a smaller one?

I'm finally getting somewhere with this whole intercooler thing. It's great. Now I just need my friggin car. Ernest told me they would put it on a truck tomorrow but when I rang today he said they'd stuffed some paperwork up and I'd have to wait longer. I'M SICK TO DEATH OF WAITING!!! GRRRRR!!!