SAU Community

Faded paint

slayer

Hi guys, I have just recieved my long awaited R33 from Japan, and it appears the condition report didnt quite cover all the defects... the paint is very badly faded (crazing in some places).

Its Wine Red, which I know doesnt help (red seems to fade quicker than other colours)

My question is - does anyone know any good detailers in Perth that can work on fixing this (buffing out, or some other treatment)? Or any products I should look at trying, other than the usual polishes and such?

Thanks

Conrad

G'day Slayer,

You could try one of the import yards, see who they recommend as they probably get this sort of problem from time to time. Have you tried a good cutting compound and a buffing wheel (or even just by hand) as I think that this is about all the detailers do anyway???

Many years ago a mate and I had a go at doing a restoration to a faded paint job, 2 cans of kitten cutting compound and many hours later it looked pretty sweet. The only downside was after about 12 months the paintwork started getting a bit shabby again, but not nearly as bad as before we cut it back. Maybe it started to fade again as it was a '71 ford and the paints they used in those days weren't so good???

Apart from the paint was there many surprises??

Congrats on the arrival, hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine:)

Steve

Can I ask who you imported the car through? That sounds incredibly dodgy to me, to leave bad paintwork off the report sheet. Bad paint is one of the most expensive things to fix once it gets past a certain stage because you'll be up for a full respray.