SAU Community

Pics of my FMIC install

Well I finally got it in, and without any expert help. I decided to try it out without a mechanic, even though I can't even change the oil in my car :(. I'm quite happy we did it on our own now. The car goes great now, although I had to remove my bov as it was on one of the pipes we removed. Fortunately I still had the stock one connected up (it was kind of acting as the plumbback for the vent-to-atmosphere blitz one I think). I've also got a nice cold air intake where the original piping went to the stock intercooler. Now I just need a pod filter to take advantage of it.

BTW it's a horrible experience cutting into the metal on the left hand side so you can run a pipe through! :?

The step-by-step pics are up at www.ozemail.com.au/~caddies if you want to have a look at it.

Cheers,

Michael

Hey Jim,

$2K including piping. I paid the extra for an HKS type S kit mainly because I wanted to be safe. Kits are easy and HKS is a good brand.

The instructions were all in Japanese so it was quite an effort. It took us about 6 hrs all up, but we are rather dumb when it comes to cars. We had no idea what to do with the hoses from the BOV that we had to take off, but luckily one guy knew what to do. (that's why I have that orange hose pic - the hose goes where the BOV was all connected up).

The front bar was really easy actually, not more than 15 minutes I'd say.

It's good fun for a day and I'd say anyone can do it if I can.

To this day, putting my wrist watch on is about as technical as I get :( The only reason I ask is because although I have an aftermarket FMIC already, I'd like something a little bigger. That and the question about taking the front bar off because I recently took my battery out, managed to spill a bit of acid on the rear bumper and the rest is history .... looking to put a new kit on soon :roll:

Damn that would have pissed me off. Taking body kits on and off is really easy. As I said, even I can do it and I'm not comfortable at all working on my car.

How is your car going anyway? Have you done any new mods? I recall from ages ago that it came in with heaps of mods, so I suppose you'd be fairly happy with the power. You got it from Geoff Risbey right?

Car is going good at the moment. Had some issues with the battery totally discharging, still havn't figured it out but it will be on it's way to an auto electirician soon nuff to figure if it's the alternator or that something is sapping it whilst the car is off .... I'm not sure how half these gismo's are wired unfortunately.

Currently awaiting transition into a new position, and hopefully once this occurs I'll be getting alot more done to the car and be out and about ready to cruise .....

Your quite correct, the vehicle was purchased from Geoff, certainly one of the best descisions I've ever made !

Nice work MIC.... looks awesome... the HKS coolers are wicked.

I have just bought a large custom unit and once I get the piping kit to suit I am going to fit it myself.

shweetttt

Guest INASNT

Nice install man!

Same 400r front and blitz BOV as me!!

U should get a new adapter made for the Blitz BOV!

I'd like something a little bigger[/quote:8a11fce492]

how much bigger do u want it??

I'm finally home from work so I can answer a few of your posts now.

doxximus:

I'd say it isn't faster than yours - that's my only performance mod along with my exhaust:). I just bought a Super-AFC, HPC coated dump pipe and Trust Airinx though, which I'll probably also install myself and take pics of.

BY BY:

Thanks. I'm quite the fan of the HKS coolers now that I've been driving with it for the last few days. Goes much harder. Are you going to take some pics of your installation when you get the piping?

Jim:

I might put the old BOV back on, but I was thinking I'd just get a replacement for the stock one that does plumbback and vent-to-atmosphere. The old one, whilst it did sound good, can't have helped performance as I was backfiring much more than I am now, so I was running much richer I think.

INASNT:

Thanks. The 400R front is nice isn't? I might get an adapter made, but I'll probably just get a replacement BOV and sell this one.

XrSist:

You're going to laugh, but I used a drill, tin snips and a file. I am ashamed to show the picture of the hole (I've got a pic, but I'm not posting it :()

Cheers,

Michael

Yeah I was considering one of them, but I've just heard some dodgy things about Turbosmart's boost controllers. I suppose it is pretty hard to screw up a BOV, so I suppose it'd be ok. I was thinking a replacement Blitz, HKS or maybe a GFB one. What have you got on yours?

I've got a HKS SSV, but I've heard they leak .... The Turbosmart Type II was the next thing I was looking at. I'm just looking for a plumback as I'd rather not get defected for the atmo venting. If I was to purchase the same FMIC package you just got, and a Turbosmart Type 2 Plumback, this would kill two birds with one stone, because with the pluming provided in the FMIC kit I would remove to the need to block off the old HKS SSV I currently have in use when I put the Turbosmart Type 2 on.

Would any plumback just go straight on there the stock is installed ?

Yeah I know what you mean. I've already been defected once. I was just lucky they didn't spot the atmo BOV when they went over my engine. Actually they probably did, but had no idea what it was :)

Maybe I should consider the type II, as I'm not too keen on being fined for the atmo BOV. I do like the sound, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it. Either way, I'll be getting something to replace the stock one because mine leaks a fair bit for some reason. I start to hear it whistle when I'm coming on boost.

The plumbing of the HKS kit would definitely eliminate the need to block off the old one, but are you sure the FMIC you've got is that much smaller than the type S? Maybe you should consider the type R (although there was no way that'd fit under my front bar, and it's rather large).

About replacing the stock bov with a plumbback one - it should be a direct replacement. So would a hybrid as the tubing should all be the same as far as I know. You might have troubles with the join between the bov and the pipe though.

I just had a look at the GFB hybrid which looks pretty good. I think I'll probably go for that.

Cheers,

Michael

MIC33R: I had an HKS SSV on my car when i bought it and I got rid of it straight away. The valve leaked to the point where is was dangerous, going into a corner even backing off a light throttle the car would stall which in turn f**ked up the steering..... nearly got me in lots of trouble. I have swapped for a turbosmart type 3 and had no problems. Otherwise a good bet is the GFB Hybrid as its a plumback and Vent to atmo valve that uses all the existing fittings and can be installed in 5 mins. UAS sells them for $329 i think....

As for the cooler, yeah if i have access to a digi cam i will take and post shots....the cooler is a full kit from Micks Metalcraft using polished mandrel bends. I am having the guys at UAS cut the sidewall hole as I dont have a hole saw, and maybe trimming the bar..... as air tools are easier than a conventional hacksaw.... the fitting itself will all be done by me...... should be quite rewarding...

Im also setting up a cold air feed as well using pirtek heavy duty induction piping..... photos of that will also be available.

Nick