SAU Community

Road tune vs Dyno tune

OK, took my car out for a nice drive today at 6am-ish to a nice desolate stretch of road with a air/fuel ratio indicator, and an HKS camp. Set the HKS camp on datalogging mode and then did a couple of runs 0-100 and then one that took each gear to 8000RPM except gear number 5 because my damned 180km/h limiter kicked in.

Now I'm back home and I'm downloading all the data from the CAMP's memory card to my PC, based on this I'm gonna try and remap the ECU to try and squeeze the best out of it.

Now what I wanna know is if the readings I've got are accurate enough to do a ecu remap, or if I need to put it on a dyno to get accurate figures.

I have the following readings:

Fuel, Speed, Injector, Rev, Temp, Pressure (Constant 0!!!) and Volt

sampled every 1/2 second on my runs.

how? where does this reading come from? surely they don't probe the engine, do they splice the signal wire going into the spark plugs? does the ECU put out a signal to the ignition?

If I took a stock standard GTS with a stock standard ECU how would they read the ignition timing?

Can they tuen the std ECU in real time? Or is it a matter of tweaking the maps after every run. I think that after each run they tweak the ignition table then give it another go and see how much ignition the engine can comfortably take...meh i got no idea really.

I hate cars at the moment...im too lazy to hunt down why mine is missing...having spent a small fortune to still have my car handed back with a miss less then 1,000kms after a tune.