SAU Community

Which intercooler? Apexi v Hybrid v Hyb. copy

B0oStEr

I'm buying a fmic for my near stock R32

I've found three alternatives in my budget.

1. Hybrid 600x300x76mm 15 bars. (rated to 800hp)

2. Hybrid copy 600x300x76mm 16 bars (rated to 1000? hp)

3. Apexi 400x270x100? Designed for R32GTSt with built in outlet for an underneath return pipe. (rated to 400hp) Twice the price of the other two.

I'm going to fit it by extending the factory piping.

I don't think any future mods will see any more than 400hp so would the Apexi be better for response due to it's smaller volume and slightly shorter pipe length?

Is there any real difference between the 15 and 16 bar designs? I've been told by people selling something else that the newer Hybrid copies are too light weight and they have durability problems.

I don't believe everything sales people tell me. I'd rather talk to people that are using them. Is there another alternative for under $800?

What would you go for?

apparently the 15 bar is better because there is less restriction. i'm also lookin for a FMIC and some people tell me an FMIC is an FMIC as long as it cools the air. and then some say pay the extra and something decent because you'll notice it esp. with boost leakage.

its up to you if you wanna spend the money i guess!!!

the cheaper alternative to the Apexi is a GReddy V-SPL... have a look around for them you can get them for around $1450.

drft33

Who told you the 15 bar ones flow better? One eBay listing said they are superior to 16 bar ones because they have higher velocity. Higher velocity sounds good but you can get higher velocity when you reduce cross-sectional area and thus increase backpressure so I'm not sure if they actually flow better or not.

I saw the small Apexi GTSt intercoolers new on eBay as a buy it now for $799 but they're over now. I'll have to see if they relist them.

drft33

Who told you the 15 bar ones flow better? One eBay listing said they are superior to 16 bar ones because they have higher velocity. Higher velocity sounds good but you can get higher velocity when you reduce cross-sectional area and thus increase backpressure so I'm not sure if they actually flow better or not.

I saw the small Apexi GTSt intercoolers new on eBay as a buy it now for $799 but they're over now. I'll have to see if they relist them.

i guess i shouldn't trust the guys from NS.com then.. hehe.

and sorry, by boost leakage i mean the boost holding. say ur runnin 12psi it doesn't drop to 11psi.

I have a hybrid (not copy) waiting to be put onto a car........for the price and performance i have seen with them i see no other option.....

Where else can you get a cooler that does the same job, brand new, and looks as good (i prefer the look of bar and plate over tube and fin)