SAU Community

Loud click from steering column

silva33

My car has just started to make a loud clicking sound from the steering column when i turn it left and right.. the steering wheels seems to be very tight with no play it is at all.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? im starting to get worried about it....

thanks

Is it a four wheel drive? and does it get louder when you turn full lock and accelerate?

If not then see if it does it louder when you are parked and turn the wheel from full left to full right and back again. Does it sound like it is coming from inside the car or outside moreso?

If it's inside then it could be the column itself or the switching mechanism for the indicator. (Have you recently changed a steering wheel or something?)

If it outside the car then check the column coupling where it joins into the rack.

Also check the HICAS sensor under the steering wheel.

its and R33 GTST and it sounds like it is comming from right behind the steering wheel. i havent really noticed if it is louder stationary or in motion. I have not touched the car or steering wheel at all, but it is quite loud..

Does anyone have any idea of how to check out the steering column? it has an airbag..

See if it does it gets louder when you are parked and turn the wheel from full left to full right and back again.  

That is the worst bit of advice I have seen in a long time.....

Don't turn your wheels while the car is stationary.

It puts massive load on the power steering pump, and it's not good for your tyres either. :P

My money says it's the indicator switch making the noise. :P

That is the worst bit of advice I have seen in a long time.....

Don't turn your wheels while the car is stationary.  

It puts massive load on the power steering pump, and it's not good for your tyres either.   :thumbsup:  

My money says it's the indicator switch making the noise.  ;)

Good on ya mate.

It will only hurt the pump if you continuously do it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it once or twice.

I have never seen a pump fail due to this test and it is necessary to determine its location. It also helps by putting the load on the pump as it will amplify any problem that is present. It also rules out any moving components whilst driving.

And in case you didn't notice I am offering help to people here unlike you. I already told him to check the switching device for the indicator so instead of repeating my advice and then flaming bits you know nothing about. Think before you type.

ok settle guys......hahaha that thread was funny !

anyway erhmmm

i have the same problem .

description;

clickin noise comin from outside from left hand side of car. Definelty outside the car and ft left.

only when u turn the wheel then the nosie is apparent. like a few clicks at time.

the bushes look fine ........so perhaps the column couplin ? hmm

ok settle guys......hahaha that thread was funny !

anyway erhmmm

i have the same problem .

description;

clickin noise comin from outside from left hand side of car. Definelty outside the car and ft left.

only when u turn the wheel then the nosie is apparent. like a few clicks at time.

the bushes look fine ........so perhaps the column couplin ? hmm

Is it a rapid click or just a few spaced apart. Plus is the noise only apparent when you are moving slowly or does it make when you are doing say 60 around a bend.

Has your car been lowered?

How does it handle, does it drive ok normally? (ie:do you think the noise effects the driveablility of the vehicle?)

Check bearing plates

Check spring saddle

Check steering rack mounting bushes

You should check balljoints but I would doubt these would be the problem, they would knock rather than click.

• 1 year later...
Is it a rapid click or just a few spaced apart. Plus is the noise only apparent when you are moving slowly or does it make when you are doing say 60 around a bend.

Has your car been lowered?

How does it handle, does it drive ok normally? (ie:do you think the noise effects the driveablility of the vehicle?)

Check bearing plates

Check spring saddle

Check steering rack mounting bushes

You should check balljoints but I would doubt these would be the problem, they would knock rather than click.

noise happens when stationery and u turn the wheel.

even more loud when u are parked on a road slanting in the gutter. (hence more weight on tyre)

i think its the balljoints...if u move the front left tyre side to side while jacked up and it moves somewhat does this mean the balljoints are worn out?

please assist me in this synopsis.

only under load the clicking comes from the front left.

where and how much do the balljoints cost?