SAU Community

What is the difference in Blow Off Vavles?

eXc

Hey everyone,

Noob question. Searched but didn't find what I was after.

Just trying to get some information, why is X BOV better than Y BOV. Why pay, say $400 for one, when you can get one for say $100 (just guestimating prices)

Apart from the sound, what is the difference?

Assuming there is a reason for going better ones, does it only matter if you have a decent amount of HP?

Just curious as when I get my skyline I will be doing FMIC/BOV/DBC.

Cheers

Chris

As people have come to expect form me now I will tell you that the money is better spent elsewhere if you are after performance.

The BOV modification offers NO advantage in performance terms. You will find no one providing you with conclusive dyno or timed improvements. The only test I've come across is a dyno test of various makes including the stock one where by none of the aftermarket units improved power or boost holding at all, no suprises there.

Improvements are made in attracting cops and getting defects however. In terms of improved performance in that area they aren't a waste of money.

Thanks.

I didn't expect a performance gain as such, but my understanding was the BOV will release the pressure (obviously) thus taking load of the system...therefore running a 'safer' system. Especually with high amounts of boost (Which I won't be running anyways)

I always planned to get a plumb back, I am not an attention person, I hate attention... but if u get a plumb back how do you know it is working if u cant hear it?

Still curious about the differences in the different BOVs.

If you want a noise dont bother with a blow off valve and just get a POD Filter. They are loud enough. Also most people are turning away from external venting blow off valves since they are really rice :D

Thanks.

I didn't expect a performance gain as such, but my understanding was the BOV will release the pressure (obviously) thus taking load of the system...therefore running a 'safer' system. Especually with high amounts of boost (Which I won't be running anyways)

I always planned to get a plumb back, I am not an attention person, I hate attention... but if u get  a plumb back how do you know it is working if u cant hear it?

Still curious about the differences in the different BOVs.

You have a factory BOV, it's a good one. It can hold plenty of boost , more than your proably ever going to run and certainly way more than the factory turbo can throw at it. If you decide to run huge boost 30psi, you can easily modify the BOV to hold it.

you can tell the factory one is working on the stock ecu because your car runs and idles, it's that simple. You will certainly notice if it fails.

There you go money saved. Now you can spend it on something else :D

rev210 - thanks for kinda answering my question.

to the others : i was asking why different BOVs are better...not that i only wanted noise. In fact i want as little noise as possible.

So if anyone knows - I am still curious as to the difference between BOV's other than noise.

If the stock is good enuff, then i will keep it, but still curious about the different BOVs.

Cheers

Chris

Whats the point of spinners? there is no point... just rice

As far as i know its to do with the rice factor/sound.. and the amount of pressure they can hold...

but no reason to upgrade stock BOV.