SAU Community

R32 GTR "Where to start!!??"

I have recently purchased a 1990 R32 GTR from japan. After reading countless material, forum threads, friends advise etc im some what in the least confused as a horny prick in a brothal.

I brought the car for a fairly good price at it has done suposedly about 60,000 k's.

I take delivery of the car next week, so in the mean time I have been wondering what mods I can do to it and perhaps do some forwrad planning as to expected cost's, part sourcing and to try and find a mech that wont do crap workmanship on my car nor talk bullshit and has exp to back him up.

I dont want my car to be some over kill machine nor do I want to lose respect by being beating by some homo in a v8 commodore or a WRX.

So taking that into consideration these are my questions.....

What mods shall I do first? eg and in sequence?

eg bosh fuel pump then injectors then ecu then etc etc......

best place to source parts new and second hand any good mech's in perth that deal with skylines etc only?

Do brand names count? as just becuase its trustor HKS does that make it better? also ecu's

On the mechanical side of things when she arrives get a full service done and get it looked over by a workshop there that deals with these cars . I'd be also doing a compression test and organising a dyno run just to see what the tune is like .

If everything is ok and you have a established that you have a healthy GTR then when it comes to mod's ( don't know what mods your car has already) I would be starting with an after market exhuast nice front pipe and if you can afford the labour a decent set of dump pipes (r32 ones are restrictive) . Next step would be ECU something like a power FC which is easy to install there are a fair few ppl who are good at tuning them these days . I would also advise an electronic boost controller to keep the boost to a sane 1bar if you are running the std turbo's. At higher boost levels the turbo blades can leave the shafts and cause you all sorts of trouble .

Get the car straight to a decent workshop.. get them to take a couple of hours to look at it, do the basics, and let you know what you're up for in terms of further problems/repairs. Odds are it'll be time to get the wallet out... its just the way old GT-Rs are..

A place like Hyperdrive can sort you out

well you can do the most basic first, which are full exhaust, pods filters, boost controller. those few things hsould keep ya happy for a while.

but as said above, get the car checked out and fuully serviced. i drove my car home from freo back in decemeber and havnt driven it since.

Most of the engine's out as well as all the pipiing, cause i wanna give everything a good clean and repaint. im also going to change all the belts, seals and fluids.

steve

60,000km..in an 89 gtr you bought for a good price.rofl.

Mate I hate to burst your bubble but a genuine one would go for more in Japan than the on the road price here in WA.

realistically expect to spend $1K for a major service which includes all oils changed to quality synthetic products and that is motor, gearbox, front and rear diff and transfer case, new timing belt, new water pump , plugs, fuel filter and brake fluid flush.check and report on brakes, d/shaft boots etc.

If the car has any more than 2 d/shaft boots gone or been replaced recently, I suspect closer to 100,000km

At the same time we comp test/cylinder leak test it as see whether it is worthwhile continuing or advising you to get your wallet ready for a big hit..

Cheers

Ken

I've just spent almost 5K on servicing and mod fitting/compliance

so start saving mate, plus my mods cost 6K over the last few months and they are all suspension, braking, replacement parts for old ones, Blitz dual EBC excl.

had the tensioner pulleys and other stuff replaced, trying to make it more reliable. braided brakes hoses.....thinks like that. more of a circuit person then drag

mark