SAU Community

15 year rule rebellion

cefiro

I beleive we should at least have a crack at stopping the changes, most of us here prob got our car through the same system. Some people are saying that the price of your cefiro will go up, in the main scheme of things it will be a first and last time this occurs, if you plan on staying true to the imports then really you are loosing. Cefiros will go up, so will everything else thats able to be bought in as the sevs goes and raws comes.

I dont care about the the importers who will loose out, in the end but it will be you and I who are screwed over.

I really is a load of Sheet what they are trying to push to us.

I will always own an import, but I refuse to be dictated to as to what cars I can own and buy. If Nissan, toyota and mitsubishi Australia want to bring in basically crap hi production, low cost cars then so be it dont pull me down. I like to have the ability to bring something in thats left feild, rather than own a commodore, cammry, magna.

Seriously dont let it fall otherwise its gone for good, you write off your cefiro, god forbid, go buy a commodore, cause you aint going to be able to get another one in via the same method.

In the main scheme of things I will never go and buy a new car fom a dealer thats a fact jack. So dont stop me from driving and owning something I want to bring in myself.

Get behind this guys cause I dont want to ***** whipped by the government.

i don't understand why these changes have been made, importing cars doesn't harm our local industry at all, the people who are going to buy a new commodore aren't going to go hunting around for a 15 years old GT-R

same deal as the people who want ceffy's or gtrs or silvias or whatever aren't going to even consider buying a new commodore or falcon,

the entire purpose of the 15 year rule was put in place initially because older australian cars were run down to the bone, (look at the VL commodores) it was there so that younger drivers could get a decent car for decent money while they sorted their lives out,

and in that sense it was good, i'm 19 work at coles part time and yet i managed to buy myself a cefiro with 45000 kms for $6500, think about it, in this country what's $6500 going to buy you? a dodgy example of VK / EA (the worst) commodores and falcons, or a dodgy 80's magna with ridiculously high k's

oh that's another thing, i bought the car when i was 18, no finance, no help from parents, older brother assisted me with knowledge of how to privately import but other than that i got a brand new car for $6500,

the dent that the 15 year rule would have made in the local car industry would be less than miniscule, i truly cannot comprehend why they would have stopped this,

now it means that P-Plate drivers will have to downgrade to VL commodores, which despite being ugly dogs of cars, but they are prone to breaking down and exploding spontaneously, not to mention the dodgy suspension they have which attracts defect notices and when you get a defect on an old commodore you're pretty much f**ked,

friend of mine paid $5500 for a VK commodore with a group A bodykit, so many kms on it, headlight blew, got a defect notice for it, took to the pits, they found hundreds of things wrong with it so he tried to sell it because it would have cost about 5K to fix, nobody bought it so he had it crushed....

that's a waste of money,

where was i going with that story, oh yeah, buying a second hand commodore isn't helping local insdutry at all it's a seperate market,

i just can't see why it was stopped personally, the way i see it is importers will piss and moan enough until the gov't changes the rules yet again

I agree!! I hope you guys made yourself heard!!

The main reason i think the're scared is not the dent on the local market now but when the 80 series cruiser comes out car yards will begin to stock up however thats no reason to scrap the law. Perhaps change it in a way that limits the number of cars a sales yard and individual can import somthing a little less harsh.

Alot of people seem to be saying "ohh it doesnt matter anymore cos i just got my car woot!", but is that the only import there planning on getting for the rest of there lives? Its only going to get harder to import from here on in.

mmmm maybe Im just pissed cos i wanted a cefiro or 4dr skyline even before they were cool and still havent got one :thumbsup: now im goin to end up gettin a old faded 88 but probly just have to put up with a local car on the cheapo, guess that will help lower the emission levels hehe (another exuse they were bithching about)

yes raws is available for a selection cars or will be soon but for somthing like a cefiro or or famila somthing a little rarer just isnt profitable to comply to me that isnt a free choice and goin to put smaller bussineses out of the picture but owell its just a law, theres other cars to buy :headspin:

mmmm maybe Im just pissed cos i wanted a cefiro or 4dr skyline even before they were cool and still havent got one  :thumbsup:  now im goin to end up gettin a old faded 88 but probly just have to put up with a local car on the cheapo,  guess that will help lower the emission levels hehe (another exuse they were bithching about)  

I resent that! Mines an 88 model, and its cleaner than a lot of the even 92 models I've seen.

BTW you can have mine for the super cheap once only price of $25k :D (btw, Im joking, my car isnt getting sold, unless someone really does offer me that much in cash)

From prestige motorsport

So you've heard about the insane rule changes announced by the Minister on 7th Feb. You're struggling to make sense of the so-called 'transitional arrangements' that simply mean a mad rush for 3-weeks, and you are disgusted by the decision which goes against all commonsense and logic. Perhaps you angry about it all but are not sure what can be done or who to complain to. Well it is nearly too late, but in politics it is never too late.

We need your help to send letters, faxes, e-mails, or to make phone calls.

If you ever want a GTO, or a Cosmo, a cheap R32 GTR, 300ZX, Series 6 RX-7, EVO, NSX, Mercedes, BMW or a multitude of other models that this change will BAN from our shores, then you need to act now. And I mean right NOW. Tonight. Tomorrow. If you put it off, or wait until next week, it will be too late. Would you rather be able to say you at least made an effort, or will you say you stood by and let it happen. Post a quick letter, send a fax, e-mail if you have to, but do something. Then tell your friends about the ridiculous changes and ask them to complain too.

Politics is a fickle business. Some of you may have heard of the trouble that The Hon Jim Lloyd found himself in today. Poor Jim had a bad day, read here about the rorting allegations:

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/...3%5E953,00.html

With kind permission we have reproduced the following from the r34skyline website at: http://www.r34skyline.com/

What can I do to stop this nonsense?

There isn't much point talking to DOTARS, as they will quite happily tell you (off the record) that they are doing it to keep the major car importers happy. DOTARS knows (though doesn't officially admit) that these changes have nothing to do with anything actually mentioned in the press release or FAQ above.

You need to talk to their political masters, soon and loud.

The first one is the Minister for Local Government Territories and Roads, as he made the announcement - The Hon Jim Lloyd

His Parliament House contact details are -

The Hon J. E. Lloyd MP

Member for Robertson

Parliament House

CANBERRA ACT 2600

Ph: (02) 6277 7060

Fax: (02) 6273 7112

Email: [email protected]

Send a letter if you can (fairly quickly), if not then (in order of preference), FAX, ring, or email (politicians tend to ignore email more than they ignore everything else, but it is still better than nothing). He is already under substantial pressure (see this article) so it will be interesting to see his response if a few hundred people start to say how unhappy they are with what he is about to do!

And the same for our Minister for Transport and Regional Services, the Hon John Anderson -

The Hon J. D. Anderson MP

Member for Gwydir

Parliament House

CANBERRA ACT 2600

Ph: (02) 6277 7680

Fax: (02) 6273 4126

Email: [email protected]

The next one to complain to, if you are one of the many small businesses that are going collapse because of this proposal, is the Minister for Small Business and Tourism, the Hon Frances Bailey. Her contact details at parliament are -

The Hon F. E. Bailey MP

Member for McEwen

Parliament House

CANBERRA ACT 2600