SAU Community

Stagea Window Tint

Lone

I have a few questions about the standard window tint on the Stageas that Im hoping some pros on here might be able to answer..

What is the exact reasoning for tinting all the windows bar the front driver and passenger windows? You can see it now on some of the new toyota four wheel drives as well. I know some of the reason was because the owner of the car in prestige vehciles usually was in the back but im certain a stagea wouldnt go that far...

Is this standard tint able to be removed at all or is it somehow part of the glass and not able to be removed because as far as I know under the new compliancing laws and removable tint is to be removed.

Is this tint actually darker then what is generally 'legal' in Australia (T35) but is it fine to have as it has been complianced with it?

Is it true that you can have the tint on the windows not including front driver and passenger and windscreen as dark as you want to as the car is a wagon?

I will try and answer a few of your Q's. One of the reasons for it not being on the front windows is that it is alot darker than the T35 and therefore at night it becomes hard to see things. The glass is what they call smoked glass and not a film over the window. My old man took his 96 imported Surf over the PITS in Darwin MVR and they sent him away to get it scraped off as it was darker than the T35, he told them that it was a factory smoked glass but they didn't believe him. so he humoured them by taking it to a window tint place and they wrote a letter advising them that it can't be removed. He took it back and he had no further problems. Here in Darwin you can only put as dark as you like if it is listed as a panel van.

Hope this helps

:cheers: ICE

Yup we are pretty lucky coz that tint is way darker than 'legal' - but as it isnt removable and factory standard it was approved for Stagea compliancing by DOTARS... but even with tinting here in Oz - I was told by several tint places that you are allowed the max legal dark tint on any rear side windows, but one shade lighter on rear windscreens and side front windows, and no tint on front windscreen.

When I took mine over the pits they had 3 blokes there trying to lift the tint off.. They aggreed that it was in the glass from factory so they passed me :cheers:

They also tested the darkness, the tint on the rear doors let 11% light through !!! the darkest tint you can go must let 30% light through.. Big difference.

J

Hehe yah for factory tint! Thanks for the good replies there guys, looks like its all legit now.. Funy to see a few people here have had problems with it for compliancing :cheers:

On the subject of one shade lighter on the rear windscreen mine does seem to be a lighter shade then the others, is anyone elses like this? Would it be that it wasnt smoked glass on the rear windscreen?

The rear windscreen is the same issue, it can't be too dark because you have to be able to see out of it. Mine came with a film tint on it, but it was very light, and had the very cool sticker of "A prestige touring wagon that is functional yet comfortable" i have since had the tint removed and darker tint installed on both front windows and the rear hatch window

Thats the same thing I want to do with my car as well so the tint doesnt look so out, if I used T35 on the front windows it would still look quite out.

I saw up here in qld one of those stickers on the stagea, so at least you've earned your signature :cheers: