SAU Community

Octane Boosters.....

Hey just wanted to see a quick show of hands who uses octane booster for there car.

About once a month i buy wynns octane booster roughly around 15 bucks, not sure if it does anything, well i hope so....

says it cleans the injectors, minimises pinging and so on...

Speaking to my local BP, the guy said he can get me 20L drum from BP rated at 100 over the 98 ultimate which i usually pump into the car...hasnt given me a price yet..

With my last car I always ran Premium and an Octane Booster, mostly becasue of where I live adn not trusting the fuel.. I religiously endorse Nulon Pro Strength Octane Booster.. It costs more than most others, but doesn;t leave a bad smell. Some Octane boosters actually only slow the burn rate of the fuel down, this is not always what you may want.

A good true Octane Booster is Toluene, aka Methyl Benzine, that stuff has a RON of 130 and a MON of 124, costs about $25 for 4L which would treat one tank of fuel quite nicley. This stuff will increase the Octane effective rating of your fuel...

What is your intention for running the Octane Booster, are you going to increase Timing advance, run a little extra boost, or is it just for security?

Just for security, this toluene sounds good, where do you get it from?

my cars pretty much stock apart from air filter, exhaust tho its hitting 13~14psi consistantly

has anyone run avgas in there skyline before?

Avgas is leaded dude, bye bye EGO sensor.. Avgas is not a good idea.. Cat Converters aren't fond either..

Toluene can be purchased from any Hardware store..

If you have access to 98 and your car is that stock, Toluene will do nothing for you, you will get no extra performance or protection over 98.. I'd stick with it and save the extra $$$

Most of these octane boosters are just crap/scams.

Zoom magazine tested about 40 different types a few months back.

Out of all of them, there was only one that allowed them to add a few deg more timing.

You might as well throw your money in the bin, that's all your doing with octane boosters.

If you could increase the octane of your tank of fuel by adding a $10 product, don't you think the fuel makers would do it and sell higher ron fuel.

Not to mention many people have found it fouls your plugs as well.

Be weary, of something that cost a few dollars and claims it can do big things.

Modern PULP such as optimax, ultimate, vortex have loads of cleaners already to keep the fuel system clean.

Extra injector cleaners aren't needed.

For those of use lucky enough to have access to any of those fuels.... The rest of us, (read people living in the sticks) use what we can get.. Like I said above, the only Octane Booster I use is Nulon Pro Strength which has had no advesre effects on my plugs, and has given me some nice warm fuzzy feelings of security, false it 'may' be...

Most of these octane boosters are just crap/scams.

Zoom magazine tested about 40 different types a few months back.

Out of all of them, there was only one that allowed them to add a few deg more timing.

You might as well throw your money in the bin, that's all your doing with octane boosters.

If you could increase the octane of your tank of  fuel by adding a $10 product, don't you think the fuel makers would do it and sell higher ron fuel.

Not to mention many people have found it fouls your plugs as well.

Be weary, of something that cost a few dollars and claims it can do big things.

Don't spose you remember which Octane Boost that was do you, or know which issue the review was in?

This shows what I expected, NF used to have a chart, which I ahve at work in fact, about this and they put Nulon Pro Strength on teh smae par as their own.. I will stick with Nulon Pro Strength as I get it cheap through Coventries on a company discount..

Have a look at the MRT forums, Brett M doesn't have any nice things to say about octane boosters and recomments toluene.

I have used both Nulon pro strength and Toluene and have not really had any ill effects,

Although I have not had the plugs out or used either for longperiods of time.

A $45 20L drum of toluene at about a 10% mix will last for 4 or 5 tanks where the nulon prostrength is $20 a pop. So the toluene does work out a cheaper in the long run.

The Nulon branded octane booster also came out on top of a recent street machine octane booster test. (Don't actually have that one handy to scan though)

So if you are going to use one, i guess this one has been proven by a number of people.