SAU Community

Spun Out My R33, A huge leason learnt.

Robz

have a look at the WRC cars on snow tyres

seems to be a valid reason for it

Yeah the wrc cars look soooooo wrong in the snow when you first see them.

IIRC the real snow tyres have metal studs in them which means the cars shower sparks when they actually hit bitchumen.

It looks so cool. Now someone go find a picture. I'm too lazy.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

practice makes perfect...take your car out when its raining to a nice wide road without any cars parked on it and practice taking off and get a feel for your car in the wet. I don't mean take it out and drift around corners or anything...just get a feel for the handling in the wet.

Wider tyres are not always a help in the rain, the wider a tyre is, the more likely it is going to aquaplane.

I've been having great fun over the past few days sliding through the rain.

I personally disagree with this. Like most imports i have 255's on the arse end and my car has NEVER aquaplained.

I was in andrew's vl one night coming back from Adrian's at yatala and it started raining and I've never been so scared in my life. I've never felt aquaplaining before, and it scared the **** outta me.

Erin you're simply not driving fast enough through deep enough puddles in the rain.

Was watching DW on briz and there was some car they had in development. When it sensed the chance that the car was going to aquaplane it would change the camber on the wheels to decrease the amount of rubber on the road. thus decreasing the chance that the car would aquaplane.

Sorry erin, but I'm going to have to go with mr Marshall on this one. Bigger rubber=greater chance of aquaplaning ceterus parabus. Also increased speed increases you chances too.

One reason you've probably never had it happen to you is because you drive on some of the better roads and you don't drive your tyres down to bald. I for one know that if it's just pissed down not to speed on the centenary freeway because when headed inbound there are several spots where the water doesn't drain properly and I've had my car drift across a lane at 100kph. all you can really do until the car grips is pray.

It would seem as though those drift when wet signs are there for a reason.

Who'd of known?

I agree, yet at the same time disagree with getting out on the road to practice/get a feel for the car and what will happen.

I have done it before and you do get a bit of a better understanding for whats going to happen or at what point will things start to get hairy. Tho in todays times u gotta be careful with all this hoon bullshit.

aquaplane: more rubber = greater chance of it happening. You need to go over puddles not just wet roads... I cringe when i see water running across teh road! (N)

as for learning... i learnt that 3rd gear, wet roads = 180km/h wheelspeed when wheelspinning... and it takes a lil bit of time for it to slow down too

Aquaplaning is fkn scary! I first experienced it in the wet doing about 90 in my old 82 corolla (135 tyres I think) on the SE freeway outbound near the gabba. I went from being driver to passenger in half a second. I have also had it a couple of times in the 32 and it feels even worse with the hicas.

How long have you had your 33 for Robz? My suggestion is to get on the skidpan or a quite wide road (industrial estate on a sunday avo) in the wet and get a feel for when the car breaks traction in certain gears/revs, and how to get out of a situation (being sideways). You gotta keep a cool head about it, dont panic with the throttle, just ease out of it, and dont fight the wheel too much.

One reason you've probably never had it happen to you is because you drive on some of the better roads and you don't drive your tyres down to bald.

I drive on some pretty crap roads, but yet, I dont speed in the wet. That's just common sense not to speed in the rain.

Where we aquaplained in Andrew's car was on the M1 just near springwood and I've driven that road many times in the rain in the same lane and never aquaplained.

*shrugs* I have no idea why, but my personal driving experience is that my car has never aquaplained on any road to this day after three years of owning it.

As for dodging puddles, that's highly unlikely, I aim for small puddles because sinbad loves playing in puddles :)

It seems to be your lucky day

Only 1 hour ago i watched some old mate come round a corner in my street lost the backend and slamed into the gutter side on and ended up on the foot path, and after a quick look drove off down the road with the exhaust and something else draging on the ground.

I keep a blue flag hanging out my backside

But only on the left side, yeah thats the crip side

whats all dis bout charly????

someone enlighten me plz.

*** yer its scary not as bad in a skyline as it is in a commonwhore but its shit scary enough

as we all know commonwhores handle like shopping trollies specially im the rain

raining the other day and me mate nearly had us both round a pole the dikhead...

peace out

Erin you're simply not driving fast enough through deep enough puddles in the rain.

Nein, although wide tires are a factor in deciding their tendency to aqua plane, even more of a concern is tread pattern. If the tread pattern is good at shedding water, you will not aqua plane as easily as a car with poor wet weather tread pattern - regardless of width.

My van aqua planes with 195's, my VL aqua planes with 225's... Erins car doenst aqua plane on 255's... On identical sections of road at identical speeds (or more, the bloody hoon she is)

:)

I think its just Andrews cars hate him, and try to kill him...

But being more realistic, Andrews car is a hardcore drag racing machine, hes gota run low low tyre pressure to get those awesome neck snapping lauches, so when it rains, he has some serious problems with not enough air.

(ps, I still say its air thats most of your problems)

A few PSI in a tire can make a big difference . Check ur tires every week - My friend is addicted to it and does it every couple of days lol - In my old calibra i noticed the tires where low when the back came out around a corner @ speed :)

U will wish u did all these kind of things when u understeer then oversteer into the Kerb