SAU Community

SARD Fuel Pressure Regulators?

G'day,

I'm looking at two SARD fuel pressure regulators:

(1) Sard - Fuel Regulator 8mm Nipple ($164.49)

http://www.nengun.com/catalogue/product/136

nengun-product-290.jpg

Sard adjustable Fuel regulators utilizes an extra light �weight diaphram assemply that provides excellent pulsation dampening; to dampen the pressure spikes caused by high flow fuel pumps and cycling injectors ( especially non-factory high flow fuel injectors ). Sard Fuel pressure regulators are designed to provide the correct fuel pressure for any high performance fuel injected vehicle. The type R is designed for high horsepower naturally aspirated fuel injected and turbo charged engines. Due to the boost compensation design, it can�provide more fuel under high turbo boost conditions. Construction is of high quality as parts are machined from billet aluminum. Pressure adjustment is made easy by turning the built - in�360 degree nut.  

When installing higher capacity fuel injectors, the fuel pressure needs to be adjusted to accomodate the new injectors. In addition to allowing tuning to accomodate higher capacity fuel injectors, the SARD Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator can be used with stock fuel injectors to increase fuel delivery by increasing fuel pressure.

Every component of the SARD fuel pressure regulator was designed and built specifically to maintain a steady fuel pressure.  

The regulator housing has a 1/8PT service hole to allow for the installation of a fuel pressure regulator or fuel line to additional fuel injectors.  

The regulator allows the use of either an 8mm hose nipple or an AN#6 adapter bolt.  

The body of the regulator is constructed of aluminum, while hose fittings are anodized blue.  

A mounting bracket is included with the regulator in greatly simplify mounting in the engine bay.

The TYPE-R regulator utilizes a larger-size diaghram for hard-tuned turbo vehicles. The TYPE-R regulator is designed to maintain steady fuel pressure even under high boost conditions.

(2) Sard - Fuel Regulator Type-R ($331.00)

http://www.nengun.com/catalogue/product/7

nengun-product-98.jpg

Sard adjustable Fuel regulators utilizes an extra light� weight diaphram assemply that provides excellent pulsation dampening; to dampen the pressure spikes caused by high flow fuel pumps and cycling injectors ( especially non-factory high flow fuel injectors ). Sard Fuel pressure regulators are designed to provide the correct fuel pressure for any high performance fuel injected vehicle. The type R is designed for high horsepower naturally aspirated fuel injected and turbo charged engines. Due to the boost compensation design, it can provide more fuel under high turbo boost conditions. Construction is of high quality as parts are machined from billet aluminum. Pressure adjustment is made easy by turning the built - in 360 degree nut.

When installing higher capacity fuel injectors, the fuel pressure needs to be adjusted to accomodate the new injectors. In addition to allowing tuning to accomodate higher capacity fuel injectors, the SARD Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator can be used with stock fuel injectors to increase fuel delivery by increasing fuel pressure.

- Every component of the SARD fuel pressure regulator was designed and built specifically to maintain a steady fuel pressure.

- The regulator housing has a 1/8PT service hole to allow for the installation of a fuel pressure regulator or fuel line to additional fuel injectors.

- The regulator allows the use of either an 8mm hose nipple or an AN#6 adapter bolt.

- The body of the regulator is constructed of aluminum, while hose fittings are anodized blue.

- A mounting bracket is included with the regulator in greatly simplify mounting in the engine bay.

The TYPE-R regulator utilizes a larger-size diaghram for hard-tuned turbo vehicles. The TYPE-R regulator is designed to maintain steady fuel pressure even under high boost conditions.

... I'm at a bit of a loss to make out the differences between the two? Its going on an RB30 which currently has an OBX fuel pressure reg, which has failed. Running a T60-1 turbo (currently 1bar, aiming for 1.5bar which is in the best part of the efficiency range of the turbo), 580cc injectors, Haltech E6K and all the usual goodies associated with it. I've been warned to steer clear of OBX and Malpassi and was reccomended SARD, but I'm not sure which of those two I should be aiming for. Seems a massive difference in price for no reason at all? Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers.

Malpassi ones are knocked because people buy the black top ones when they need silver top, and vicer versa, also the malpassi ones need to be kept away from heat a bit more than some other brands.

Also allow about $30.00 for the gauge.

The only real difference I can see in the two Erin is size, Im not sure if Andrew would need the extra flow of the bigger item. But also think of it this way, an extra $180 isnt much when your talking about the thing that regulates the fuel to the engine, as in, if it doesnt work, neither will the engine.

Erin

Well I looked at both and I am running Nismo 740cc injectors (actually looking to downsize to 650cc) with a Haltech ecu, 600hp in tank fuel pump. I found the cheaper one was no good. I went with the better option and well as the adage goes " you get what you pay for" I have no fuel issues any more :D Plenty of fuel when I want, running from 0.8bar to 1.5bar.

Are you upgrading the in tank pump as well?

Cheers

Dan

Erin

Well I looked at both and I am running Nismo 740cc injectors (actually looking to downsize to 650cc) with a Haltech ecu, 600hp in tank fuel pump.  I found the cheaper one was no good. I went with the better option and well as the adage goes " you get what you pay for" I have no fuel issues any more :D Plenty of fuel when I want, running from 0.8bar to 1.5bar.

Are you upgrading the in tank pump as well?

Cheers

Dan

From memory the car already has all that end of the fuel system sussed to the max.

Whups, I posted this in Erins nick... My bad :)

The car already has plenty of fuel, 044, carter external lift pump, 5L(plus..?) surge tank, etc.

Sounds like the big dollar item is just a more industrial strength version of the cheaper item? The wording shows they are identical, the text formatting is just slightly different. Havent got a response from Nengun yet, but its only been 48 hours (they say to allow 3 working days). I'm happy to spend the money if its a better option, but if the more expensive item had an operating range to 150psi and the cheaper to 75psi, there is no point grabbing the more expensive. If its definately more reliable, then I'm happy to waste another 100'ish dollars instead of pop the motor because of ANOTHER dicky regulator :)

Cheers for the help.

Interesting thread. I've had the ~$165 reg sitting in my shopping basket on Nengun (along with afew other things) just waiting till purchase whilst i've been looking into these regs.

I've seen some high powered GTR's with the $165 item yet some low-mid powered GTS-t's with the $360ish reg.

I'd be very interested in Nengun's reply.

I think it is also a mentality.. People think they have Jap technology/cars, so therefore ONLY Jap made parts will do the job and will pay $$ Jap prices.

I know this is going into a yellow VL, but i'm sure a malpassi will do the job for you, plus you can also have a fuel pressure guage screwed into it so you can immediately see your fuel pressure. and should work out cheaper

personally I wouldn't buy a malpassi. I don't care if it's farken gold topped. I know of a number of people who have had these fail. they appear fine, but when tested to hold a certain pressure, you can see that they leak. so imagin what is happening under sustained WOT...

buy the more expensive sard. from what (limited) info I have gleaned they are a more robust and slightly large unit than the cheaper one.

especially if you have lost a motor before due to a faulty reg I would not skimp and buy a malpractice or other cheap one.

Nismogirl, I asked the tuner at APC & he rated the AEM ones slightly better than Sard at holding pressure - bought one for my car for $265 (trade) & its works flawlessly. The AEM ones also have a threaded hole for a gauge & interchangeable discharge ports in case (further down the track) you decide to bung 1/2" lines & a couple of 044s like I did.

You can always go around to your local tuner and ask them and then go see another 2 or 3 :D If you in brisbane speak to Allstar Tuning at Virginia 3265 7185 or Predator Motorsport at Morningside 3902 7711. Both of the owns race cars and well the one at Predator is regularly on Briz31 with his circuit R33.. They are honest and pretty straight forward.