SAU Community

Exhuast Manifold Leak

Had a really good listen when I got the car out this morning. Unfortunately I didn't have anyone to help me rev the engine. Even at idle, there is a slight "tut-tut-tut" type noise coming from around the rear turbo. With the heatshield on its hard to see whether its the turbo to dump or manifold gasket, or the manifold to head gasket. I noticed a little oil nearish to the rear manifold -> head gasket, but I don't think its related. Sigh. I wish I knew which one it was as I don't want to pull it all apart these weekend only to have the wrong bits and then have to leave the car for nearly two weeks off the road :rofl:

Spoke to GCG and they have the turbo -> manifold gaskets for $15 ea, and associated studs + nuts for $5 (per nut + stud); they don't have the complete set. I have also spoken to Nissan, but waiting to hear back. Will post up the details when I get them.

LW.

Lucien, OT a little but did you actually remove the dump pipes? ie. seperate them from the front pipes AND from the turbos exhaust housing when you drained the coolant?

if so were the dumps hard to remove with the turbos still on the manis? also how hard were they to replace? or did you just removed the front pipes?

Richard,

I only disconnected the front pipes from the dumps: I didn't remove the dumps as its not necessary to drain the block. If you interested, have a look in the tutorial section (search for threads by my relating to the radiator).

I'm getting the distinct feeling I will be removing the dumps this weekend though :). I'm also beginning to think I should get the maifold -> head gaskets/studs/nuts too and just do the whole lot in one go :P

LW.

Well my day just went from bad to worse.

Turbocharger Gasket Kit: 14401K :: 14401-05U25 (No longer available; need individual part numbers)

Turbo -> Manifold Stud: 14411A :: 14064-05U01 ($13.24ea x 8 = $105.92)

Turbo -> Manifold Nut: 14432 :: 14432-P7600 :: 14432-0B700 ($7.85ea x 8 = $62.80)

Turbo -> Dump Stud: 14414M :: 14414-17F00 ($12.21ea x 10 = $122.10)

Turbo -> Dump Nut: 14432+A :: 14432-P7600 :: 14432-0B700 ($7.85ea x 10 = $78.50)

Dump -> Front Gasket: 20692M :: 20692-P9000 :: 20692-65J00 ($16.58ea x 2 $33.16)

Dump -> Front Stud: 14440A :: 14064-N4200 :: 14064-58Y00 (Unknown; have to come from Japan)

Dump -> Front Nut Fix: 20602 :: 20602-41G00 (Unknown; have to come from Japan)

So that's over $400 ex GST, and doesn't even include the expensive gaskets. **** me dead.

LW.

yeah, I just wanted to know if you had actually removed the dumps from the turbos. I've already had my engine drained of all coolant, radiator removed and flushed, but I was just curious as I want to whack on some trust dumps. but from what I can see it will be fairly fiddly to remove the dumps and replace with trust ones.

Richard: no worries. From what I have seen it looks like an annoying job.

Spoke to GCG. They sell a T25/28 gasket kit, but they reakon the turbo to dump flange gasket won't work as the Nissan one is slightly different. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: I'm thinking the best way to go is to get 2 x kits + studs + bolts from GCG. Then get 2 x turbo -> dump gaskets + 2 x dump -> front gaskets from Nissan. Only thing I can't work out is the attachment of the exh. manifold to the head: I assume it uses replaceable studs, but I can't find a part listing?

Lucien.

The Nissan dealer found them: suprisingly they are actually cheap (like $2.50). The only think I haven't sourced yet are the turbo/manifold studs and nuts. Nissan wants nearly $200 for the 8 sets of nuts+bolts+washers: you'd think they were made of gold. Anyway, after consulting Yoda (aka. SydneyKid) he said just to go to any old nut shop with the stud specifications. Just trying to find the pitch/length in the workshop manul ATM.

LW.