SAU Community

problems with defects???

I was just wondering why are defects such a problem. I mean if u have 17 inch mag wheels how is that dangerous?? I can understand how an exhaust and loud music can piss people off, but having a low car, mag wheels, bov etc, they are simply stupid restrictions. Also how can they take away points for defects?? Its not a driving offence, its a problem with the car. So when you go and get insurance and they ask you if you've lost any points on your licence and you say yes, for defects, they'll up the premium which sucks balls.

Just my thoughts

Well I think it's to stop people putting wheels straight onto cars without setting up the suspension or anything else. That's why an engineers certificate is required. And I do agree with that.

At times it can seem incredibley annoying and pain in the arse, and a lot of people know their cars, unfortunately a lot more don't. And it's to protect us and themselves.

The diameter of the wheel is not a defectable item .... it's the width they will get you for. If the width more than 26 mm wider than the stock width which is listed on the tyre placard (this should be fitted during compliance) then you need to have them listed on an engineers cert. The reason being that the wider the more chance they will touch the arch. It's common that the larger the wheel in diameter, the larger the width also which is why people commonly associate the defect to the wheel diameter.

Low rides can also be a danger due to the fact that in everyday life, debris is a common hazard on roads .... can you imagine what a brick in the middle of a lane yould do to your ride sitting at 50 mm going 110 on the freeway ?? Not to mention that this little meeting would likely cause more debris, if not an accident in itself.

Having a BOV is not a defectable item ... as long as it doesn't vent to atmosphere :mad:

Dluded, you get a cert for the mods you have at the time .... and they are listed individually, so it's best to get all the mods you wish to have listed done, and them get them all cert'd at the same time to save $$$ and hassle.

An engineers cert isn't always going to save your ass (As cops only have to suspect a defect, no proof needed) but in most cases if your nice about it, show the cop the cert and advise him to check this with the equipment, they'll be cool .... you do get assholes though.

yeah my tyres grind into my car when i go over a bump cause they are too wide

but ive heard people say that they have been defected for after market BOV, 18inch wheels, small steering wheels etc. and is there a actual list which shows you what is defected???

THX

Originally posted by DLuded

but ive heard people say that they have been defected for after market BOV, 18inch wheels, small steering wheels etc. and is there a actual list which shows you what is defected???

THX

basically anything you have added on after the car rolled off the showroom can be a defect. ok, maybe the christmas tree or dice hanging off your mirror (eeew) isn't but if a copper wants to be an idiot he can say they destract you therefore...

maybe that was a bad example but they can and will get you for most things if they want. it's their lack of knowledge that affects their judgement too. eg, i've heard of cops trying to defect a car for a stock bov. it's ridiculous right, but with limited knowledge they don't know if it's a stock item or not. they just defect you cause it's a 'BOV' and they know it's illegal.

btw, i'm getting an eng cert very soon but even that can't save you in some instances.

Porgie, read up on your ADR's ... no ADR stipulates tyre diameter, the width is the only defectable item .... this can be confirmed with the RTA Technical line if you wish for the number ... step down !!! :P

As for you Dluded, if your grind into your car then you can clearly see why they would need a cert or be a defectable item :mad:

The reason your friends may tell you they have been defected for an after market BOV is if it was venting to atmosphere instead of being plumbed back .... the atmo venting BOV's are the ones which make the nice big "PSSssssSssTT" sound when you let off the accel, or when changing gears .... an aftermarket plumbed back like the Turbosmart Type II Plumback is completely legal.

As for the 18" wheels once again, you'll find they were prolly defected due to width as most 18" rims are going to be 18x8" - 18x10" , clearly well over the 26 mm allowance from standard of most vehicles.

Steering wheels have to comply to ADR's also, a lot of momo wheels etc are illegal, not completely sure as to reasoning but more info can be found on the RTA website if you wish.

A defectable item is only something which breaches the ADR for the specific item. Exactly why when you have nothing better to do you should read up on your ADR's so when the day comes you can easily talk your way out of a defect ....

I carry of the ADR's in my car for reference if a cop wishes to argue the point. Educating police officers .... I should get paid much more :mad:

Originally posted by JiMb0

Don't listen to George, he is a confused individual ... I'll give you some references when I get home as I'm just leaving work to catch a train, but the RTA website has a wealth of information.

ha ha. he's right. i'm laying into my 3rd beer. *burp* xcuse me

like he said, rta web site would be able to help ya but i've warned you. they can get you for anything. even tongue rings i hear.

j/k

They can defect you for tounge rings, but what about tounge barbells ? Are eyebrow rings ok ? and what about the three bar's in my sac and the spacer in my left ear ? I'm a walking defect ..... :alien: I knew we had something in common George :shake:

jim, i've been a walking defect since my first step.

peak, i didn't want to say it but since you did... window washer + lights = rice.

i hate that word. rice. it's their car and they can do what they want i believe