SAU Community

What does a maxed AFM feel like?

what car what mods what engine???

the mass airflow meter converts the amount of air drawn into the engine into voltage signal . The ECU needs to know int6ake air volume to calculate engine load, this is necessary to determine how much fuel to inject into the cylinder.

this means that when the AFM runs out of scope there is no more fuel injected into the cylinder than there would be at full throttle so when the air flow meter reads full load its supplying the max amount of fuel so if the AFM cant read anymore air coming in it can not suplly the fuel for it to ignight so you basically run out of puff

so what you will feel is nothing just wont make any more power

but if the car is unmoddified you will never reach this point

people if this is incorrect please let me know this is my understanding of the opperation

of the AFM

yeah 5.0 volts is the max, or dead on. if its only a temporary max out its probably ok

but if its maxing out at like 3500 and stays at 5 volts the hole time then its a problem.

if its juts for quick second or two its no big drama. the ecu just wont see any more increase in airflow so more air is coming in than the airflow meter can measure

it doesnt feel like anything really. im maxing mine out, ive just got afm max warning turned off (flashes the engine light). im still on stock rb25 afm

well if you have datalogit why not do a 0 to redline run (on a private road of course) in 3rd or 4th and then look at the datalog report, from there you should be able to see what goes spastic past 5000

I have done a 0-100 run. At about 6000rpm maf voltage reaches 5v and and increases slightly to 5.030v at 7000rpm.

The problem is I've read the max voltage is 5.12v.

Well i guess I have to swap the maf to see if i actually do have a problem.