SAU Community

MP3 players

dojobi

Hi all,

I recently went to an electronics and computers expo in Sydney called Cebit (anyone else go?) and I saw a stand for an Aussie company called Voxson (www.voxson.com.au). They had a car MP3 player on show which also played CDs. The killer bit about it was the price - $259 - $299. It's going to be released in the next 2 or 3 weeks apparently.

Now, every other MP3 player I've seen for cars has been well over $500, some even over $1000. So, is this some sort of wonder head unit or am I missing something vital here. I really can't see how these other units can be so much more expensive.

Cheers,

Mic

BTW there's no info on the web page yet, it'll be up soon they said.

if i remember correctly, voxson used to be a shitty b-grade electronics company that made crap stuff that you would buy if you knew no better.

THATS if i remember correctly - which is highly improbable.

that is pretty cheap too, i was looking at a nice kenwood unit for about $900/

I've never even heard of them. I suppose I'll be a guinea pig and try it out. I'll tell everyone here what it's like so they can either get one or be warned about it.

What was the model of the Kenwood you were looking at? I'd like to compare features when this one does come out.

Voxson used to make discmans and stuff like that.

They distributed out of Brisbane.

Cheap no frills stuff. Pretty good quality but I haven't seen anything from them for a year or so.

It could be something to make them a big name, or maybe there just tryin to make money by jumping on the bandwagon. I spose it doesn't matter too much at that price though?

Go the AIWA CDC-MP32!!! Wholesome Sony goodness (one up from shit) for $400 bucks. The Voxson one sounds like the CD-MP3 players you find at Northrocks Markets... ahh back in the day when i used to live in syd (like feb '02)... they do the job but skip like crazy, and they only play selected formats (VBR etc) stored in specific file structures.

My Headunit

Thanks for the tip. I was a little worried about it not being able to play VBR MP3s, as that's the way I encode all mine. Maybe I should just get the AIWA. When they release it, though, I'll check out all the specs and make sure it can do all formats.

Alpine make the best Mp3 player

friend has one

doesnt take any longer than a normal CD to scan.. unlike most mp3 players which take like 3 seconds or more to scan the next track when searching

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I like the highend JVC MP3 unit, the Alpine is quite nice and the sound quality is comparable if not slightly better than the JVC, but it costs a lot more. Well over $1k everywhere I have seen.

I did see a kenwood 9020R MP3 headunit in Brisbane car sound today and it looks really shmick, and I generally don't like kenwood gear so that is high praise. No idea what it sounds like though.

Looks good has all the right features except for sub control.

Will go and have a look at one when they come out.

Who in Brisbane stock them?

Guest Krystian_w

Hmm...

There's also the MP Zoo, don't know how it works exactly but it actually plugs into a Hard disk and plays MP3's straight off it. That means you can fit a couple of hundred CD's worth of music on the HDD...

Don't know much about stereo's but thought you might want to take a look...

If it helps I saw it at Brisbane Car Sound for about $800