SAU Community

Hey guys, im new and just bought an R33

Ruffels

thanks krzysiu, yeah i know what you mean i live in a suburb where the police arnt as tight about this sort of thing then most places, and i havent been pulled voer yet either (l-plates might have something to do with it :() but yeah i dont want to have to sell it in 6 months time when i get my p's

;)

also when i rang vicroads the lady said alot of it is upto the police's discretion

but there are no demerit points lost for driving a high powered car

only a "heafty fine" as she stated

Once again its not the fines to worry about.

Its the insurance factor of loosing ur 18 thoudand dollar car.

Situation : You wrap ur car rouns a pole, pay ur 2900 premium, and they state ur vehicle ois too powerfull, your left with a smashed car, so you will be 18 000 + 2900 down so thats like a 21 000 loss.

You will be likely to get away with power to weight, and yeh it is only a small fine i have a mate that just pays it.

And if u speak to the right ppl at vic roads they will tellu the power of ur vehicle, the R33 isnt an updated car and i know its on their database, i was on the phone yesterday.

pz.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and WELCOME!

Your car looks hot i must say, although I do agree with everyone else about the GT-R bagde. Your car isn't exactly stock either lol. Fair enough pod filter is nother much but the boost is. I bought my car on my L's also, and only started boostin it after i've had some experiance on the road as it still lost traction on stock boost :(

As for the cops, just be careful and dont get smart I guess. I've gotten done a few times and it's not a nice feeling. It seems that the more mods you do the harder they penalise you for it.

Enjoy your car and dont become a statistic. ;):)

get rid of GTR badge...

and insurance is gonna be a bitch man...

If your over power to weight then in the event of a claim, it is most  likely gonna be rejected...

nice car anyways

nah it wont, they didnt say nething to me, and they knew i was on my Ps

lol oki again.

i live at knox. abt 2 mins from Knox city

im 19. will be 20 this Nov

ive got a r33 gts-t wth a pod. stright cat back 4inch xhaust

and i pay justcars 2500 odd dollers a year.

already had 1 accident, it wasnt a big ass huge thing. just the front bumper. and they asked me if im under 21, said Yes. didnt say anything. sent some dude to chk my car. all done fixed paid my 1500 xcess.

so far i didnt get busted tho. ive went pass cops. being stoped at booz busters. even stoped next to a cop on a red light. so far so good

i guess its most of the time luck. and the way u drive..

so dont try to do stupid things and get busted on the road

welcome.

Fear only the insurance Nazi's... and the police man.

Vic roads have never cared, and will never care for another 100 years.

unlucky your in an R33, coppers know what they are all about.

if you had an R31 like me you'd be sweet. You can mod it all day long and have no problems :cheers:

lol oki again.

LOL, from a person who brags about HICAS saving his life and his mates and nearly had an accident at some ridiculous speeds

nah it wont, they didnt say nething to me, and they knew i was on my Ps

Precisely... they don't say anything to you, thats the idea.

You had a dented front bar - hardly anything anyone would kick up a fuss about.

But what will happen if you have a more serious crash and they question the speed you're going at - then they check out your car and think 'Oh, it's over power to weight its your own fault'.

= Car smashed up, no insurance + losing alot of money

In the end it's your choice mate, but i'd have a careful read of the policies and go over every single detail just to cover yourself - so at least you know what you're in for...

oh but you won't have an accident will you... nooooo... everyone drives responsibly on there p's hey... if I had a Skyline on my P's I would be f**kin dead!

and what do you guys do for jobs? how in the hell can you afford $2900 a year... thats $55 a week on insurance alone! and then count in excess if you have an accident, thats like $4500... so you have to have an accident that does more than $4500 damage to make it worthwhile claiming and then they might not even pay up cos your over the power to weight limit!

nice car btw, you did well for that price... don't let me see you on the news or you better pray you don't survive the crash... be smart, lay low, don't get sucked into showing off to your mates... they didn't pay for the car you did... think of all the blood and sweat you put into it before you try and drift that corner to impress some skank...

oh but you won't have an accident will you... nooooo... everyone drives responsibly on there p's hey... if I had a Skyline on my P's I would be f**kin dead!

and what do you guys do for jobs? how in the hell can you afford $2900 a year... thats $55 a week on insurance alone! and then count in excess if you have an accident, thats like $4500... so you have to have an accident that does more than $4500 damage to make it worthwhile claiming and then they might not even pay up cos your over the power to weight limit!

nice car btw, you did well for that price... don't let me see you on the news or you better pray you don't survive the crash... be smart, lay low, don't get sucked into showing off to your mates... they didn't pay for the car you did... think of all the blood and sweat you put into it before you try and drift that corner to impress some skank...

I guess people won't learn until they have an accident sadly

Hiya,

I'm new as well, talked to 'letmedrive' at the Melb Autosalon also....

Brought my R33 GTS-T about two months ago stock as a rock. Mods I have done so far are.... 3" Stainless Exhaust from cat back (Front etc coming), bov, air pod, cd player and splits, tinted windows, 18' wheels, gauges on the pillar, turbo timer, viper pager alarm, better battery, and GTR wing getting painted. Intercooler and springs coming also.

I'm from Bendigo, 26. Forums are handy.

I totaly think its irresponsible of Parents to allow a L plater and the young driver to drive a high powered car. Im not jealous, hell, Ive owned over 8 cars including over 4 high performance turbo vehicles, but I look back to when I first got my license and my first turbo car which was a starion turbo, and I look back and think how scary and how fast that car was. The fact is, when you get ur license and ur driving a high powered vehicle, ur gonna do some stupid shit, probably hurt yourself or someones loved one. Ive been driving for 4 years and Ive owned a string of 12 second cars yet I still think ive got a lot more to learn. You guys can say what you want that you will be safe etc, but the bottom line is, you wont.

I dont think I wudve kept myself from injury if I owned a high performance vehicle when I just got my license, you have no feeling for the road or how the car could react, even after me going to so many driving courses in WA, competing in Autokhanas and climbs, I have a lot to learn. My suggestion is to you guys, sell your cars, buy a cheaper, less powerful car and learn how to drive properly before stepping up to a more powerful car - Maybe Im getting old, but I never understood why some parents didnt let there kids drive turbocharged cars when they got there licenses - i thought they were idiots and I used to tell them, who cares you can still hurt urself in a excell - but after a few years of driving I realised what they meant. High performance cars are deadly weapons.

lol oki again.

i live at knox. abt 2 mins from Knox city

im 19. will be 20 this Nov

ive got a r33 gts-t wth a pod. stright cat back 4inch xhaust

and i pay justcars 2500 odd dollers a year.

already had 1 accident, it wasnt a big ass huge thing. just the front bumper. and they asked me if im under 21, said Yes. didnt say anything. sent some dude to chk my car. all done fixed paid my 1500 xcess.

so far i didnt get busted tho. ive went pass cops. being stoped at booz busters. even stoped next to a cop on a red light. so far so good

awww, i live 2 mins away too and i constantly get wrecked by cops hehe :cheers:

but on the topic note, welcome! nice car btw, i like the kit.

drive safe :P

I totaly think its irresponsible of Parents to allow a L plater and the young driver to drive a high powered car. Im not jealous, hell, Ive owned over 8 cars including over 4 high performance turbo vehicles, but I look back to when I first got my license and my first turbo car which was a starion turbo, and I look back and think how scary and how fast that car was. The fact is, when you get ur license and ur driving a high powered vehicle, ur gonna do some stupid shit, probably hurt yourself or someones loved one. Ive been driving for 4 years and Ive owned a string of 12 second cars yet I still think ive got a lot more to learn. You guys can say what you want that you will be safe etc, but the bottom line is, you wont.

I dont think I wudve kept myself from injury if I owned a high performance vehicle when I just got my license, you have no feeling for the road or how the car could react, even after me going to so many driving courses in WA, competing in Autokhanas and climbs, I have a lot to learn. My suggestion is to you guys, sell your cars, buy a cheaper, less powerful car and learn how to drive properly before stepping up to a more powerful car - Maybe Im getting old, but I never understood why some parents didnt let there kids drive turbocharged cars when they got there licenses - i thought they were idiots and I used to tell them, who cares you can still hurt urself in a excell - but after a few years of driving I realised what they meant. High performance cars are deadly weapons.

aha well said..

But i reckon in the end... a P-plater usually want to go with a higher powered better looking car. I'm 19 but dont drive a turbo or really fast car im waiting till off my P's.

But i know how a p-plater thinks - being one and all... the years of experience just arent at hand like they are to others...

Starionturbo,

I'm currently an L plater looking around to buy an R32 gtst now, and I think that being safe on the roads is a balance between the attitude that you have and the driving skills.

By this I mean that many (many - not all) P platers seem to think that they can take corners etc much more fast than they really can. Many also seem to think that they are good drivers and that they can control the car at these speeds. These are examples of poor attitude. Combined with this is a lack of skills. Most P Platers can change gears, indicate, accelerate, break etc competently. But don't seem to know that when they increase the speed of the car, these factors change. I agree with you in that there are many P platers that aren't responsible, have the wrong attitude, poor skills and as a result crash their cars, hurt themselves, hurt other people and help bring the increasingly bad reputation of P platers and import drivers down. Maybe this is what the majority of P platers are like, I don't know what the statistics are, but I know that there are SOME responsible drivers out there, and that they/we whatever don't all think the same way.

I think if the P plater knows their personal limits, as well as the cars limits and obeys the road laws, then there shouldn't be a problem.

In regards to the "anyone can hurt themselves in an excel" thing, I believe that's debatable. I think that some people will drive like idiots regardless of what they are driving and cause damage, and others may feel more.... powerful? cool? in a performance car causing them to drive less sensibly.

I've never been in a situation where I've tried to control understeer or oversteer so I'm not going to put myself in that situation (except for when I'm learning at a driving course). I plan on doing defensive driving courses and motorkhanas as well, and I can't wait to go to track days and really open up my car and enjoy driving it at its limits in a somewhat controlled environment.

Been here on SAU has helped shaped my attitude towards driving. The incidents of EVLR34 and various other tragedies during my time here, has shown me that being irresponsible on the roads just isn't worth the risk, and that it spoils the satisfaction of being able to drive an import/high performance car for everyone.

I honestly have no intention to drive irresponsibly and endanger my life, other peoples lives and the car that I worked my ass off to be driving.

Foznice -

"I honestly have no intention to drive irresponsibly and endanger my life, other peoples lives and the car that I worked my ass off to be driving."

If you truly meant that you woudnt get a High performance import. Even if you swear your going to be the most sensible driver out there, you havent driven on the street by urself before and you wont be.

Foznice -  

"I honestly have no intention to drive irresponsibly and endanger my life, other peoples lives and the car that I worked my ass off to be driving."

If you truly meant that you woudnt get a High performance import. Even if you swear your going to be the most sensible driver out there, you havent driven on the street by urself before and you wont be.

Could you elaborate on that a bit more please, because I don't understand what your saying. Do you mean that there is no way possible that you can own a high performance import and not be a tool on public roads? I can't see why not.

Maybe it's because I haven't been there done that, but I can't see why being by yourself in the car would change your opinions, attitudes or they way that you think. I can see that for some people who want to drive like idiots can say : "no more mum/ dad, I can do whatever I want now"... I know that for me it's not going to be like being let off a leash because theres nothing that I want to do on public roads that I can't do now.