SAU Community

Car starting engine problems?

yuandaokia

Sometimes when I put my key into the key entry and turn to the engine "on" position nothing happens not even a cranking sound or something.

then i turn to accessory "on" position and wait abt 5 secs b4 turning it to "on" and sometimes that work but sometimes that do not work

sometimes both do not work and i have to keep trying abt 10+ times switching between the turning it straight to "on" and switching it to accessories "on" before it works.

And this happens both during hot sunny afternoons and cold moony nights so i don't think its a cold engine problem or something. what might be the problem? starter motor got problem or something?

I am a mechanic idiot and know absolutely nothing about the workings of the cars :Oops: so any views is welcome.

Thanks

edit: when the key is at accessories on position the lights and radio all work so i dont think it should be a weak battery problem?

Whoh, there - Could be just the circuit to the solonoid. If you don't have any chance of looking yourself, see an Auto/Lec. Could be pretty simple.

so you're i should go find an auto electrician to check the problem? as i said i am a complete idiot when it come to the mechanical side. thanks, i'll try to find one in the yellow pages or something :D

or maybe someone in here is one? rather give the money to a fellow skyline enthusiast :D

The problem may be related to the ignition barrel wearing out. The key isn't able to set the contacts inside the switch properly. I doubt it, though.

I think you are actually talking about when you put the key to the "start" position. (the "on" position is where the key "sits" while the engine is running). And you get absolutely nothing, not even "click...click...click..."?

More likely a problem with getting power to the starter solenoid switch. If you are not confident to do it yourself, then get an auto-elec to insert a relay between the starter wire and the starter solenoid (he should understand what that means). This is what I had to do with mine.