SAU Community

Controll against scammers

Due to the increased number of scammers recently, I think we need to start looking at ways to deter these a55holes from taking our hard end $'s. I ask everyone to suggest ways we can discourage/control scammers on this forum.

My suggestions (with help from Allblitz):

* Users should only be allowed to trade if;

- They have been a SAU registered user for at least 3 months.

- They have at least 100 posts to their name (Any new member continually found posting irrelevant 5hit, to bump up post counts should be warned then banned if they continue).

- They claim to be a business; they must make a donation to SAU (as usual) but also provide all relevant contact details, including ABN #.

This is all I could think of, atm, but please feel free to give opinions and ideas; we need to start protecting or members. We will never fully filter out all scammers but at least these ideas will deter them from joining SAU to rip ppl off.

I also am of the opinion that ppl should take more due care when buying on ANY forum, and should have some guidelines to protect themselves, but these forums can do a little bit more to help the naive user.

Thanks

Alan

Sounds like Captain Obvious but...is it possible to make it compulsory that if the user has less than x amount of Trader Rating, COD is compulsory? I know COD isn't fool proof but with Quoc, all the guys requested for COD saved their butt. All I am thinking is, it's a lot harder to pull some sort of scam when you gotta send it COD. More evidence for them to get roasted and meet Big Bubba.

Sounds like Captain Obvious but...is it possible to make it compulsory that if the user has less than x amount of Trader Rating, COD is compulsory? I know COD isn't fool proof but with Quoc, all the guys requested for COD saved their butt. All I am thinking is, it's a lot harder to pull some sort of scam when you gotta send it COD. More evidence for them to get roasted and meet Big Bubba.
We can not hold everyone’s hand! ;)

The buyer always has to take responsibility and thus must arrange with the seller to COD, if they wish too. SAU do not get involved with money transfers and p&h, so how could this be enforced?

If the above are "obvious", why do we need to take these measures? Why aren't the buyers being more careful?; instead of handing $$$'s to ppl they do not know. But due to the amount of naive ppl on these forums, and the multiple PM's, e-mails, etc., I receive I feel that something needs to be done to improve the situation.

Regards

Captain Obviously NOT so obvious

If the users gonna be this naive then no matter what sort of safety implementation will save them from being ripped off. Even with the 100 posts/3 month probation thing, it's still not gonna get rid of it. For sure, the ones that gonna come here and make a quick buck will probably not be able to do so but what if they planned ahead?

Now the question is, was it necessary to flame me when I was just trying to add some ideas to stop this shit. Oh well..

If the users gonna be this naive then no matter what sort of safety implementation will save them from being ripped off. Even with the 100 posts/3 month probation thing, it's still not gonna get rid of it. For sure, the ones that gonna come here and make a quick buck will probably not be able to do so but what if they planned ahead?

Now the question is, was it necessary to flame me when I was just trying to add some ideas to stop this shit. Oh well..

As i stated we can not hold everyone's hand. By taking such measures we do just about all that can be done, the rest of the reponsibility falls on the buyer.

The "Trader ratings" idea probably wont work as i have sold/bought numerous stuff without getting a "rating" from the other party.

If you feel offended by the flaming, maybe you should rethink the way you start your opening posts and not try to insult the person trying to help everyone else. I didn't flame you for your ideas, but for your opening sentence.

Regards

Alan

Yeah well, your ideas will probably knock out quite a few potential scammers ie 3 months wait and a certain post amount needed. At least if that was done, Quoc wouldn't be able to come back as ITPROSEARCH and MNImport after he got stuffed the first time.

That's pretty much it from other forums I goto..

• 2 weeks later...

also to think about, the traffic for SAU and the sponsors etc.

if people cant register to sell things then they wont come to this site will they?

then the sponsors arent really getting a fair end of the deal

There is many sides, and much debate as we have had before in past threads about this same issue

At the end of the day its common sense and people are simply not using it and getting duped.

If someone wants to rip someone off they will. But at the same time we cant hold 99% of other users up who might want to sell etc cause of a few people who werent really 100% careful.

thats my personal view.

also to think about, the traffic for SAU and the sponsors etc.

if people cant register to sell things then they wont come to this site will they?  

then the sponsors arent really getting a fair end of the deal

There is many sides, and much debate as we have had before in past threads about this same issue

At the end of the day its common sense and people are simply not using it and getting duped.

If someone wants to rip someone off they will. But at the same time we cant hold 99% of other users up who might want to sell etc cause of a few people who werent really 100% careful.

thats my personal view.

Ash that is absolute BS!

I am suggesting that newbies can not sell untill a criteria is meet. This has nothing to do with sponsors, as the sponsor will not send the goods until they have received payment. I am just trying to stop scammers claiming they have all these goods and buyers being ripped off. Also, if a legit business wants to join the forum, has donated and has provided enough business details (ABN, address, contacts, etc), then i am sure PRANK can wavier the 3 month period.

I do not intend to stop a newbie from BUYing items, as there is generally no risk to the Seller, as the seller usually does not send the item unless payment has been made, or COD arranged.

Its not BS at all. If buyers were careful this problem would not be here

There are annoucements

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/an...cement.php?f=14

Bad trader lists, and what you should do

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=65046

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=70909

Also the sheer amount of threads around about bad traders:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ght=itprosearch

The above are just examples of what happens when one tarder comes along that is bad.

Surely people are made aware by those examples?

If not, then there is nothing you can do.

3 months, 1 year,100 posts 1000 posts... the same silly people will still be getting duped and crying foul because of thier own carelessness

As i understand it, SAU is not responsbile for what happens, nor should it be.

I have purchased a lot over the forums. Not one problem.

I only trade with trusted people interstate, otherwise i buy in person in my own state.

Its very safe if you the buyer make it safe

Every new member needs to fill out a stat. dec form and stamped by the local police station. That way he/she tries to rip anyone off, we know where to find the bugger :(

Ohh yeah, they need to get a Police History Check done as well :D

Husnu's idea is working except the cops bit. Every seller will need to get a stat dec and get someone to sign it ie aussie post staff or whatever..except I don't want to imagine how much paperwork someone will end up with and filing them.

If they're out there to scam, no matter how difficult these new rules gonna be they will still do it. It only filters out the some of those after a quick buck but the ones that are more patient will still be able to scam. Afterall, what's so hard to post a 100 posts if they know a bit about the Skylines in general or they could keep starting n00b threads asking questions?

I agree with the stat dec that could be forged. There's nothing really fool proof, that's the problem. As to who keeps all the stat dec? PranK possibly or another mod?

As for keeping of stats dec's etc

SAU is not resonsible for the For Sale section, or anything else.

Use at you own risk really.

Its just provided here for everyone use, and we try to keep it as clean as possible with bad trader lists, and members being careful and aware... and leting everyone know when there is a bad trader going around.

Prank posted it with much better wording, but i cant see to find it. Im sure you get the jist