SAU Community

compliance duration

philta

hey guys, my car is scheduled to land today at freo, and i just wanted to know how long it is to getting my car.

if any1 here has imported b4, i was just wondering how long does compliance usually takes for a r33. cuz im really getting anxious.

thanks guys

hey guys, my car is scheduled to land today at freo, and i just wanted to know how long it is to getting my car.

if any1 here has imported b4, i was just wondering how long does compliance usually takes for a r33. cuz im really getting anxious.

thanks guys

Hey Bro,

My car comes in today aswell!!! Can't wait. when are u picking it up? Who are u going to get it complianced with?

nOOSE

Hey Bro,

My car comes in today aswell!!! Can't wait. when are u picking it up? Who are u going to get it complianced with?

nOOSE

i got it through imports101, and i think the are picking it up and doing all the compliance work. etc

i got it through imports101, and i think the are picking it up and doing all the compliance work. etc

ahh k. That's pretty kewl I'm gonna try and pick mine up myself on thursday or friday and drive it to autoworx the following week after i make love to it over the weekend. ;)

Wonder how much i can drive it without plates :D

nOOSE

haha course, but u can get permits to drive it to and from places so work can be done etc!

I think permits are $14 from licensing centers.

Complaince will take aslong as the person doin it wants to take ;) Ive been offered it to be all done in 3 days! But imports 101 are busy so maybe a week if they have everything they need? Rego etc can be done in a day too. It'll be ready in no time me think!!

Hope Danny has been good to deal with for ya, hes a champ and bringing in my car too

compliance takes on average 10-14 days.  The physical work for the car is only a 2 day job, waiting for the approval from canberra takes around 7-10 days.

thanks for that, i think i know what im expecting now, cheers guys.

My car came in on the 10th also :rofl: (Altlantic Highway) hopefully I can get mine today, but more likely monday tuesday next week.

I'm going to do most compliance myself.

Is there any good vantage spots where you can see your car at Freo docks...?

And would you need binoculars..!..?

Yes, I was told Monday Tuesday next week depending on how dirty the car is....

Anywho, went down the docks for a look see today, literally thousands of cars....tried Captain munchies bridge first, but that just overlooks the new cars, the imports are down the far (Eastern End) the best place to view them is from the new bus stop near the railway bridge.

Having said that I still could'nt see shit!

I counted about 7 R32 GTRs....Im pretty sure I could see yours Noose, but mine could be any number of them.. :Oops:

dock1.jpg

dock2.jpg

dock3.jpg

15 year compliance took over 3 weeks on my last GTR...

my current GTR is being complied and has already taken 3 weeks.. they still dont have the front seat belts to finish the work and i think it will be draged out for atleast another week!

lets see how much i get over charged this time! compliance places are bullshit

Hey PSI,

You got a glipse of mine did ya? Customs are being slack my agent told me. They should have been released friday but ahh well. PSI are u picking yours up from the docks urself or truck it to your door?

Not long now!!

nOOSE

Noose: yeah yours is the one next to the red 300zx & silver S15 in the 2nd pic :D

As for picking it up I was gunna get it towed $60.

If you go down and get yours today be sure to check mine out :D

Noose: yeah yours is the one next to the red 300zx & silver S15 in the 2nd pic :(

As for picking it up I was gunna get it towed $60.

If you go down and get yours today be sure to check mine out :cheers:

hehe i don't think anyone will be getting their cars off customs til wenesday. But if i do pick it up i'll take a camera and take some snaps :rofl:

nOOSE

Hey guys.

The two best places to get your car compliance in Perth is, Jap Parts and Autoworx, but be careful, I would highly recommend Jap Parts as I have used them before, and they saved me ALOT money with letting me borrow stuff. You can even use my Name Andrew when you talk to them, they know to look after SAU forum members, ask for Rajesh :P

I also used Brett Rayner, as my Custom Broker, the guy is a champion, I got my car first before most of the people that had cars on the same boat as me, plus he got my car released without any of that air conditioner crap they make you go through... This guy will go the distance for you if you only ask, ask nicely as he is a top bloke. Also his rates will blast away anything that other local import brokers will recommended, and he only charges a service fee, and everything else is at cost, you even get the cost on what it cost from customs. How cool and honest is that. I know a lot of people what got burnt going to custom agents [not brokers] getting over charged especially given the lack of personal service.

I would highly discourage driving your car from the docks, if your car has been waiting in Japan for a considerable amount of time, my car hadn’t been waiting in Japan for that long less than a month, but then again my ride wasn’t a common GTS-t. I got it taken home, with 'Lightning Tow" He has a tilt truck, and he knows how to get low riding cars like mine, mine was like 5-7mm off the ground when i got it, onto his truck without it bottoming them out. This guy is good and comes at a very good rate, did me a cash deal i couldn’t of gotten any cheaper else where, his number is 0408 935 818. You can try and jog his memory, who I am, but I don’t think he will remember, Just say it was a very nice looking burgundy r32 skyline which he towed back in March.

If your car has been waiting in Japan for a while, it is advisable to do a complete fluid change when you get it. This can be done by you, rather cheap, as your not getting charged labor.

When it came to doing my own compliance, I started out with all enthusiasm, but that was short lived, I found it very hard to find parts, as per example, Repco or Supercheap couldn’t even help me out with fuel filler restrictors or child restraints brackets, (which unfortunately have to be mounted over your rear spear speakers, just under the speaker covers). But I did do my own, mirrors, which cost me 30$ :-/ I thought it was expensive, but its so easy to do, you will find a screw underneath your driver side mirror, which will release the mirror and electronic motor gear. Then it’s as simple as detaching the mirror from the motor which is just clipped in, and taking that mirror to a replacement glass place, they will replace it for you. After this I just decided it wasn’t worth driving around all over Perth for looking for gear to compliance my car myself at the cheapest prices, so I just took it to Jap Parts, Which was the best decision I made.

A little about Jap Parts.

Jap Parts is located 5-7 Jade Street Maddington WA, They have a new website up at http://www.jappartswa.com.au/ . The best thing about this crowd is that they will only quote on each and every individual part that needs to be done to get them to sign it off, So you wont get a quote for the complete compliance job like most other place will do, only what you haven’t already done, which makes it a real good thing for those who want to spend time working on there cars themselves. You will find most place will get really annoyed if you rock up with the job already half done, cause to them they see it as your wasting there time, they are trying to make money of you and your car, the more they 'have' to do, the 'more' time and parts they can charge.

Another point I will recommend is not to mention the import broker you bought your car from when inquiring about getting your car compliance, as insider information, says it’s not uncommon for these import brokers to get a referral fee for the business, which is of course covered in what you will be charge. This is a rather big problem in this import industry and it affects us guys when we purchase our cars. Its fcuked, as when we pay broker fees, we pay a fee to get the best and utter most reliable information possible, but, all seriousness it comes down to what they do to maximize there profits, not what’s best for us, and yeah that is fcuked, but its all apart of business. You’re just another customer to them.

Just remember this information I give you, I don’t get anything out of it, I do it, to put those who make money out of us, to shame. All this information is from experience, not just from me, but from a group of people who went through the same as I did, when I got my car compliance, but through different crowds. They even got there cars in on the last car shipment back in March. By the way feel free to do a search on all my profile to find all post I posted when I was going through the same thing you all are going through.

Anyway I hope this helps some of you, I did spend a bit of time typing it so I just hope its not too confusing.

Andrew

hey re2,

thanks for that! I mite thank that path and do a few myself by having it dropped of at my place then changing the oils and mirrors and all the small things then bring it to the Jap parts.

btw how can u drive it around without it being licensed can u get some sort of temporary permit?

nOOSE

ps. mite want to add it to the diy compliance thread

yeh Temp permits covers you for third party, but hey this can be costly, make sure you plan yourself out, as permits only last for 48 hours, you got to plan yourself out, so you can get the most done in that 48 hours, I believe by the time I finished I had spent nearly 100$ on permits. But I just under estimated myself and general hold ups. You might want to try and get your insurance company to give you a cover note over this too, I managed to squeeze one out of my insurance company which I heard isn’t a common thing for an unregistered vehicle. Just be friendly and sweet talk them hey. All you need is your import approval and you will get your Permit to move you car.

When they ask you what you are doing, just say to them, you got to drive it around to get it compliance for putting over the pits. That way when they type it up, they leave it open for you to move it all over Perth in means of compliance, I know one person who told them exactly from and too suburb he was moving it from, and yeh that is exactly what they typed on the temporary permit.

Oh also, another quick point.

I would strongly advised against installing intrusion bars yourself, you can serious mess the way your metal and paint work runs on the doors. This is commonly the problem with professional jobs, and they are the pro, and it still looks shit.

I can speak for myself, that the guys at Jap Part did my car you can’t even tell it has intrusion bars.

Make sure you ask him to see if they can rivet them in, and not weld them in. Welding can cause rapid rust development if it isn’t properly prepped, and this has been documented in quiet a few compliance FAQs. And incase your worried you can’t even see the rivets as they are hidden under the door sealing rubber.

Phils Mechanical also does complaincing and does intrustion bars, and I’m sure both of these guys will sell you intrusion bars if requested.

His contact details are as follows

Phone: 08 9493 3069

Email: [email protected]

Plus he is a SAU forum member his ID is Philmech, Just make sure you mention you got his details of SAU as referred to you by Andrew, he also knows to look after us.

But hey I would strongly recommended against doing it yourself, you got to remember that these guys have to sign off the engineers report, and if your workmanship isn’t up to there standard, it makes it very hard for them to sign off on it, as it is there arse on the line if the shit hits the wall, and a major FINE and loss of RAW.

Yeh go for it. As I said, just go in with your import approval as it has the information they need on it, and speak to the people at the licensing centers :D easy as that.