SAU Community

picked up a 260 2+2, a few q's

just picked up a datsun 260z 2+2 for next to nothing.

its monza red and has no motor or gearbox and the dash has been removed and re-upholstered but not put back in.

a few questions for those of you in the know;

what would a shell like this be worth?

Im told it was resprayed last year, so rust is minimal.

Also I have my old rb30e out of my r31 sitting in the shed with all the accessories and was thinking i could drop this in but i will be needing a road worthy cert and was wondering if this conversion would require an engineers cert.

I know that the 3L is bigger than the L26 and apparently you need a certificate when increasing capicity but i thought i might be able to get away with it.

alternativly if anyone wants to buy the shell for the right price then i'd sell it.

any input appreciated.

I have a 260z 2+2 sitting in the garage being slowly built up as in not much has been done in agessssssss. Depending on the condition of the shell if its straight as with a good paint you might be able to get 3 - 4K got to remember they arent as popular as the 240z... also put a rb25det in or even a rb20det still a good amount of power to be had.

just picked up a datsun 260z 2+2 for next to nothing.

its monza red and has no motor or gearbox and the dash has been removed and re-upholstered but not put back in.

a few questions for those of you in the know;

Also I have my old rb30e out of my r31 sitting in the shed with all the accessories and was thinking i could drop this in but i will be needing a road worthy cert and was wondering if this conversion would require an engineers cert.

I know that the 3L is bigger than the L26 and apparently you need a certificate when increasing capicity but i thought i might be able to get away with it.

alternativly if anyone wants to buy the shell for the right price then i'd sell it.

any input appreciated.

Hey guys

Me and a mate have got a 260Z 2+2 (Kermit Green with porsche kit) L28botom end P90 turbo head. Full exhaust. lowered etc etc.

My question is.. What is needed to drop in a RB to the 260?

We were thinking of making a RB30DET to go into it.

Well I know in SA you can put the RB30de into a 260z and only need to fill out a change of engine form. From What I have found out (don't know if differant in other stats) but as long as you dont improve the power of the car more than 20% (from stock) then you don't need an eng cert.

I also run a web site www.thezgarge.com that has an Australian Z forum. There is some people on the forum with a grate knowledge of Z's and what can be done and how to do it. :rant:

Reece

Hard to say without knowing the 'true' condition - amount of bog, etc. IMHO 2+2's aren't worth a whole lot, but it's very much enthusiast driven and you might get someone that will pay a lot.

Engineers certificate is required under Vicroads rules - larger capacity/power + not an engine type sold in that model. You might 'get away with it', although someone is likely to notice during r/worthy and/or Vicroads inspection. If you did manage to get it on the road, don't ever have an accident......

A problem with the RB30 conversion into Z is that the sump configuration is wrong, and it won't just 'bolt in'. Requires a custom sump job or get a sump and pick-up from a 200ZR (rare).

thanx for the replies.

that z forum looks good, got a few answers on there already.

turns out the bloke i bought it off has the original motor so.

Ive decided to rebuild the existing engine and restore the 260 to its former glory.

-Adam