SAU Community

Q on downloading DVDs

red900ss

Howdy all,

not quite a game Q but this section probably has the highest number of geeks per pixel. :D

Have any of you paid to d/l movies from the various pay sites? NO NOT for pr0n! :talk2hand

The speed of shareaza and the like is akin to water torture so I'm wondering if the pay sites are better or just a sham to take your money and offer the same speed as the freebies.

tia :(

I find using various torrent site (isohunt etc) downloaded via bit torrent is not too bad. not that I've ever done it of course... just what I heard.

maybe they just don't like you? have you used lots of cool hacker terms like: "l33t" "n00b" "r0x0r" etc?

This could all help with your download. I guess it mostly just depeds on which sites/people are seeding the downloads. perhaps you are downloading stuff that's not popular and hence not hosted on anything fast?

I know someone (wink) thats been using a certain paysite for about a year now without any issues. It has everything you could want (well it keeps me happy) and works on a monthly unlimited data subscription.

I have no idea how I found it but its better than any P2P you could dream of.

Bittorrent would be your best bet.

Download Azureus (google for it)

Unblock port 6881 on your router (I just unblocked port 6800-6900)

Find some good bittorrent sites, your set.

Dont know whether we are allowed to post the names of the sites cos of illegal stuff.

Beauie is on the right track leeching from Usenet. Get a good leech prog like Newsleecher, sign up for a news server (most are USD $10 or less p/m) & leech some binaries @ 700kB/s. You'll be downloading video faster than you can watch it.

alt.binaries.cd.image

alt.binaries.games

alt.binaries.games.encrypted

are some goodies that should keep you busy for a while. Just scroll thru the alt.binaries.*list, look for the ones with lots of posts (10's of 1000's) they're the ones with all the goodness. you will definitely want a program called QuickPar to repair damaged archives.

Makes broadband worthwhile eh ?

In the past I've just been using torrents... never heard of the newsgroup method. So i have to subscribe and pay?

If you use torrents the following sites are the best I know of...

www.filelist.org

www.filemp3.org

www.torrentbytes.net

Anyone know of any better ones for PS2 games? I know of torrentreactor and thepiratebay but they aren't real good for them either.