SAU Community

R33 Problems - Fuel Cut?

HKS-R33

Hey car is a 96 r33 s2, car has been fine until last night. I was driving along and was in third gear, i started to accelerate, the car got to about 3500rpm then cut-out for a second. It was like a big jerk. Then further up the road i tried again and the same thing happen.

Today i took it for a drive and it was fine, but tonight when i went to accelerate it happend again. Im starting to think it might have something to do with the colder weather at night?

I also thought it might be boost cut. It is currently set at 12psi. The only thing i have changed lately was the boost controller. I went from a no name bleed valve, to a turbotech ($22 one from the forums). I think it may be getting just under 13psi sometimes (when its colder).

Anyways just wondering if anyone could help out.

P.S sorry if this post is hard to read, but im not in a good writing mood right now

Thanks, Mike

:)

Mate it sounds like your AFM is maxing out. Do a search on it and im sure you will agree. good luck

Yeh this has crossed my mind but the car is only making ~180rwkw, i didnt think it would be maxing out yet

:D

Don't change your afm unless you change your ECU - it will stuff things up. The AFM isn't maxed out but the reading the ECU is getting is saying this is too much airflow (most likely), hence richening and retarding the timing which feels like a fuel cut.

Turn the boost down to 10psi. If it stil happens look to coil packs for issues.

yeh i have now got the boost at around 10-11psi and it is fine. I had the coil pack issue most 33's seem to be having and already changed them. All seems to be good for now, until i get a power fc :(

:D

mike

check to make sure the boost controller does not have a blockage. This would cause the turbo to spike extremely quickly as the wastegate is not opening or not opening enough. Your boost cut should be somewhere around 20psi but the turbo will hit that twice as fast as your guage will read it so it might only say 13 or 14 psi but the turbo has already hit 20psi. It is unlikely to be your AFM as my stock rb20 afm is putting through 250 rwkw and only reaches maximum voltage when my injectors hit 100% duty cycle.

• 7 months later...

sorry to dig up an old thread....

but im currently getting these exact symptims from my car

only running fm cooler, pod and 3" cat back and cars at 9.5psi

doesnt haven all the time.. but its like a big jerk when it does happen

would that be a boost cut... at 9.5psi? :rolleyes:

-Ruffels

• 1 year later...
sorry to dig up an old thread....

but im currently getting these exact symptims from my car

only running fm cooler, pod and 3" cat back and cars at 9.5psi

doesnt haven all the time.. but its like a big jerk when it does happen

would that be a boost cut... at 9.5psi? huh.gif

-Ruffels

Im also getting the exact same problem. It seems to be worse at night and is definatly worse on higher boost, the higher the boost, the worse it is generally.

Has anyone found out what is actually causing this yet?