SAU Community

MT Drag Slicks

fresh

i might be borrowing these off a mate for some experimentation next time i'm down at WSID, just curious though, do i neeed front runners or anything like that or will they go fine with my 18's on the front

will they shake or be weird to drive, i wanna go fast but don't wanna hurt my car

also burnout wise, do i need one, they seem pretty stick as it is, and i can only see a burnout breaking sumthin.......

They should be fine without front runners till you start cracking 120mph+.

You will notice if you use them on the street (which you shouldnt) they will move around and feel squishy in the rear if you corner but all you have to do is remember that they are drag tyres they are meant for a straight line they dont have the same sidewall construction as a road or circut tyre so no ricky racer cornering!!!!

As for a burnout they will still benefit from a bit of a burnout especially because you will be rolling through the water..... Best bet dont start your burn in the water roll through it and past it about a meter... This is an old trick because if you do a burn in the water the water flicks up in you inner gaurd and as you sit staging it drips down onto the tyre, water off the line = bad traction.

THere will be water on the tyre so a burnout should start pretty easy but like i said you dont need to put on a smoke show or sit on the limiter just a quick burnout a little smoke and that should be suffecient.

Good luck...

Crossply tyres 'walk' at speed. Meaning they move from side to side due to the composition of their sidewall. The reason for crossply tyres (front runners) on the front is to allow the front to move with the back.

Radials don't allow this side to side movement at the front so you can get a pendulum effect happening in the deep end and in a worst case scenario, hit the wall in the deep end, crossed right up.

Adrian

well i doubt i'll be running 12.5 or quicker but yeah just wanna do it outta curiosity, so below 120mph (200kph ish) they should be fine with my 18s on the front, well might get down there early and have a few runs without them and a few with, and see how it goes

so is it safe to run full slicks without front runners aslong as i stay sub 200kph (120mph) or is this going to cause problems ???

I wouldn't do it, I was speaking to Theo a while back & he was driving the blue 11 sec R33GTST with slicks on the back & radials on the front. He said for no reason it "snapped" mid-track & he almost put it into the wall - no warning at all.

yes this is an 11 second car as mentioned you shouldnt run radials and slick on a car this fast thats why it just"snapped" mid track!!!!!!

Look as mentioned if you run your 18 on the front and MT's on the back you will be fine as long as you think your car wont crack 120MPH on the strip and by andra rules 12.5seconds which is around 110mph so theres a good guide to stick by. If you feel the car is around low 13s or slower you should have no problems!!!

12.5seconds which is around 110mph so theres a good guide to stick by.

Depends on a lot of things - power, tyre height, diff ratio, manual/auto etc etc etc.

If you think you'll go ANYTHING like 13.0 or quicker (especially on slicks where you should be running a few tenths faster than on street tyres) don't run radials at the front.

Adrian

Feels like the car is on ice when using combination tyres, kinda fun to flick the steering wheel and the ass wobbles like the suspension is made from jelly.

Having said that I backed off half track at Bu5ter's drag day last year. Didn't feel too confident (ok ok I am a pusseh).