SAU Community

Oil On Steering rack boot

MANWHORE

What does this mean?

Workin in a workshop ive seen this "common" thing heaps. My r32 has oil all over the steering rack and im yet to see a car come into our workshop wit a totaly spotless one. Unless the oil is dripping off or the power steering fluid is going down rapidly then its no problem and is totaly normal for the rack to have oil over it. Hope that helps, i dunno y they leak but you dont have to worry about it....

oh, my r33's rack boots are spotless. I'd post up pics if I knew how to.

The car in question is my daily driver.

So a bit of oil is normal? Perhaps I had better clean it all off, and see if it dripped from somewhrere above.

rack end seals are worn/going hard.

You can get a product from lucas (in a white bottle about $15) that stops leaks.

However not sure if this is great for pumps etc. Put it in my gfs car, still leaking a bit from rack but better. The level doesnt go down much but there is wetness around the boot. The boot is split so it comes out. If the boot was in better condition it would probably just build up in there for a while.

the stupid thing is the boots are not split. The car in question is only 4 years old. Family car.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but what is the oil that is leaking? I'm guessin that since it is from the steering rack it is power steering fluid?

Cheers

Yes my gf car is p/steer fluid. Wierd that is only 4 years old and it is doing it. It is normal to get a little fluid I think but not much!

Usually would be contained within the boot.

Maybe it has a little split you can't see or just the cable ties arent very tight.

If under warranty get it fixed otherwise Id probably suggest leaving it unless it is really bad

I'm gonna clean the boot off first. I'm just hoping that for some odd reason, oil has splashed onto it. I dunno how though, because it's not near anything.

There's something i'm wondering. If I do not repair it now, will I run into more problems later? like will it end up costing more? (provided I keep the fluid topped up)