SAU Community

no more monaro

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah you're not really buying australian at all. the money goes overseas.

holdens are far from the best, they are not advanced etc. but there's one thing that they are and that's cheap. they're not top range cars like a lot of enthuasts think they are. all the euro stuff is like BMW, Merc's, Jag's etc they're at the forfront of technology.

holden should stop trying to claim is the best and start claiming it's the best for the price, which is debatable.

One thing that the Monaro has done really well for all of us in Australia is reintroduce the idea of a big, GT coupe at around the $55K mark into the mainstream consciousness.

When the Monaro was out, there was nothing. If you wanted a sports coupe you either went a small racer (200SX or Integra), or spent up and bought a Euro. The RX-7 and Prelude were gone, and Lexus wasn't interested in bringing in the SC's.

With all the attention the Monaro gave to the segment, it made it far easier for Nissan and Mazda to bring in the 350Z and RX-8. Its a lot easier to justify bringing those cars in when you can point at the sales and halo the Monaro brings to the brand, than pointing at the now-dead Preludes and Supras.

I wouldn't mind a Monaro as a daily driver. I wouldn't turn it in to a hardcore track or touge weapon, but with a catback and CAI, lowered on rims, and a nicer stereo it would be a pretty nice car to tool through traffic or visit people in Canberra / Newcastle with.

I went to the liquor store in search of a 6 litre wine casket but with no success :P

hehehe

And i went to the milk bar looking for a 2.6 litre juice or milk carton with no success :)

;) hahha

Some of you may think that Holden are behind the times but when you think about it, how much do you actualy know about the product - **** all. The technology that Holden use, not only mechanical wise but safety wise aswell is on par with the best of them.

and as for power. the new 6.0litre engine with an exhaust, CAI and computer upgrade will prodcue in excess of 290rwkw and thats only spending between 3-4k on modifications. No turbo lag, Plenty of bottom end torque, plenty of top end torque.  

On the other hand a customer of mine has a new 6.0litre Senator with a twin turbo kit fitted to it 10psi = over 400rwkw.... Try acheive that on the same amount of boost out of an RB25 or whatever.  

Dont get me wrong at all. I love my turbo cars aswell but I think that alot of people need to broaden their prospective and look at what Holden is produceing. If anything you have to take pride in it because its an AUSTRALIAN built car - Made by AUSTRALIANS.

Sorry Heath, 1 thing to say.

Manufacturing Tolerances. Where close enough is good enough for Holden.

But i have heard they are reducing the tolerances with the VE, maybe even to the same levels as the Japs!

Manufacturing Tolerances. Where close enough is good enough for Holden.

Dude, the piston fits in the cylinder. What more do you want? The strange noises you get because the piston rings aren't touching the walls adds character, don't you know?

:cheers:

Get ready ppl, fly those Ozzie flag:)
...It's just the aussie mentality of "v8 mate" is annoying. It's like, upgrade already.

See thats funny, not being a smart a55 but its the same as some ppls mentality of either Jap or nothing. Look at the Skyline / Nissan range and think about the number of uninspiring engines they use, SOHC engines etc.

If i had a job that readily gave me a company car...then id gladly have taken a Monaro. :)

So what if its a pushrod V8. Does anyone know what they actually weigh being all alloy compared to the cast iron block RB engines? If you read up on the LS1/2 engines, you will find out why they didnt continue with the LT5, or use some of other quad cam V8s that they make and sell in Oldsmobile/Pontiac etc.

There are design reasons as well as cost reasons, and you only have to look at the peformance of the things to realise they arent really hurting on that front. (and seriously look at the economy these things get, they are surprisingly good...its amazing when you consider the weight they have pull around, with weight being the worst enemy of economy)

The chassis that these engines are put in arent that great, but the Monaro was one of the better chassis housing the engine:(

It aint cheap, but consider what a 2003/4 GTR would have cost you...

44886973.Car21_069.JPG

44886909.Car21_007.JPG

Then take the above, add a cam and exhaust with remapped ECU, some shocks and springs, thats all...thats all you need to on road legal semi slicks to run 1:51s at Eastern Creek. Which is bloody fast

Consider the new HSV Dealer Team Spec Clubsports lap Oran Short Circuit in 48.2 seconds on road legal rubber, completely off the showroom floor and according to road tests at Oran Park t put up with all the abuse given to it with brakes/temps etc all being stable:) They will soon be optioned with Ohlins adjustable suspension...imagine how quick they will be then:)

Then consider SAU's fastest GTR around Oran Park Short Circuit, an R32 with 25/40 turbos, hks mainifolds, hks dump pipes, 044 fuel pumps, cams, cam gears, head ported, forged pistons, rods, dog box and 340 kw at all four wheels with road legal rubber and fully sorted suspension and big aftermarket brakes does 47.6seconds

LOL...if you look around there are plenty of reasons why not to sling sh1t on Holdens/Monaros/V8s etc:) Imagine a last hoorah Monaro on a diet with the Ohlins and rest of the Dealer Team Spec options:whackit:

GTR 47.6

Stock Clubbie 48.2

You cant be serious - GTR must have not been running right ... or clubbie must have been "STOCK" *wink* *wink* :-P

See thats funny, not being a smart a55 but its the same as some ppls mentality of either Jap or nothing. Look at the Skyline / Nissan range and think about the number of uninspiring engines they use, SOHC engines etc.

If i had a job that readily gave me a company car...then id gladly have taken a Monaro. :P

So what if its a pushrod V8. Does anyone know what they actually weigh being all alloy compared to the cast iron block RB engines? If you read up on the LS1/2 engines, you will find out why they didnt continue with the LT5, or use some of other quad cam V8s that they make and sell in Oldsmobile/Pontiac etc.

There are design reasons as well as cost reasons, and you only have to look at the peformance of the things to realise they arent really hurting on that front. (and seriously look at the economy these things get, they are surprisingly good...its amazing when you consider the weight they have pull around, with weight being the worst enemy of economy)

The chassis that these engines are put in arent that great, but the Monaro was one of the better chassis housing the engine:(

It aint cheap, but consider what a 2003/4 GTR would have cost you...

44886973.Car21_069.JPG

44886909.Car21_007.JPG

Then take the above, add a cam and exhaust with remapped ECU, some shocks and springs, thats all...thats all you need to on road legal semi slicks to run 1:51s at Eastern Creek. Which is bloody fast

Consider the new HSV Dealer Team Spec Clubsports lap Oran Short Circuit in 48.2 seconds on road legal rubber, completely off the showroom floor and according to road tests at Oran Park t put up with all the abuse given to it with brakes/temps etc all being stable:) They will soon be optioned with Ohlins adjustable suspension...imagine how quick they will be then:)

Then consider SAU's fastest GTR around Oran Park Short Circuit, an R32 with 25/40 turbos, hks mainifolds, hks dump pipes, 044 fuel pumps, cams, cam gears, head ported, forged pistons, rods, dog box and 340 kw at all four wheels with road legal rubber and fully sorted suspension and big aftermarket brakes does 47.6seconds

LOL...if you look around there are plenty of reasons why not to sling sh1t on Holdens/Monaros/V8s etc:) Imagine a last hoorah Monaro on a diet with the Ohlins and rest of the Dealer Team Spec options:whackit:

GTR 47.6

Stock Clubbie 48.2

You cant be serious - GTR must have not been running right ... or clubbie must have been "STOCK" *wink* *wink* :-P

I suppose no one took into consideration that one is 15 years older than the other?

An R34 with the same money put into it would eat it.

Or maybe they should be pitching a VN Group A SS with a few mods against it.