SAU Community

R32 5 speed vs R33 5 speed

Guest 87vlt

As you may or may not know I own a VL Turbo and I'm sick of my auto. Regardless of whether an auto will launch faster or what, I want to under go a manual conversion. I've weighed up my options and a vlt gearbox is out due to supply and demand issues. I know that the R33 box is lsightly stonger than a R32 but by how much? How much a R32 gearbox stand, what power levels? Is it worth spending the extra grand or so and the pain of getting the speedo drive re-wired for that extra strength? How much power do you 32 owners run through your gearboxes and how are they holding up?

My old skyline had an RB20 with around 180 rwkw and heaps of torque....

I blew the box that came with it after 4 months of hardcore drifting, which to me seems pretty strong...

If I built another skyline I'd definately go straight to the R33 box as that's what most people run behind modified RB26 conversions with mega rwkw....

If you drive hard in a modified car, do not hesitate for the extra $1000 or what ever for R33...

Good luck bro.

the 32 box is a disposable item if you have torque.... even just 250rwhp and abuse leads to noisey layshaft bearings...

with the toque of teh 3L id say you'll go through atleast two a year if its making power

teh 25 is a far more pleasant box to drive than the mx7

25det box is the go you'd probably get a good one for $1200 ish

some of the hard hitting R33s should be able to give you of a personal account off how much rwhp they are producing and whether or not that is being used on teh strip with slix

yeah a guy up here I know has around 400 hp at the rears and his box seems to go fine. Might have to spend the extra dollars.