SAU Community

Installation of Mechanical Boost Controller

Hi All,

I would like some tips on how to install a mechanical boost controller on a R33. I recently purchased the turbotech controller.

I know it goes between the turbo and wastegate, but I have been told that the solenoid needs to be taken out of the equation.

Does anyone have any specific instructions or photos they could email me on how to properly install this.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

It's not too hard to install once you know whats happening? I fought with it for a week, but when I simplified it it worked fantastically.

With the instructions you got you can see the which connection should go to your wastegate actuator (the connection at a right angle to the controller screw). The hose that you need to run to it is the one coming from the turbo, look for the round bronze looking can-like item on the turbo, this is the wastegate actuator. Undo the connection, it's probably at a T piece which goes to the boost solenoid (that's where it was on my 200SX anyway). Then hook it up to the connection on the boost controller and use the hose clamp to hold it in place.

Then find (probably at the t piece) the hose that runs back to your intercooler piping. Hook this up to the connection that's in line with the controlling screw. Again use the hose clamp to secure it.

You will probably have a hose left over that was connected to the solenoid again, just block it off with a bolt that fits the hole and put the hose clamp over it so it wont come loose. Then you will be right.

As it says in the instructions the controlling screw should already be set at minimum boost (pretty much completely wound out). To increase the boost level just loosen off the lock nut and wind the screw in in small increments. lock down the nut again and test. Wind in or unwind the screw until you find the boost level you are happy with.

Hopefully this makes some sense. If you are still having problems check out the link below. There's quite a few pages on this controller there.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=73375

I done a similar method to PhantomS14, but I directly connected it to the intake pipe, then ran another pipe directly to the wastegate.  Throw the T-piece away, as well of course the factory solenoid setup.

Sounds like a neater set-up, however what confuses me is that the factory solenoid has two pipes connected. One from solenoid to the T-piece (this can be removed by blocking the T-section or using a straight joiner) the other from solenoid to the wastegate. Then the T-piece has also another pipe connected going to the wastegate and the other side to the intercooler piping.

Would it be correct to fit the controller between the intercooler piping and wastegate but then block the second wastegate pipe that was connected to the soleniod?

Sorry, a little confusing when putting a picture to words.

Yes. You only need to block off the lower pipe that was on the solenoid. Just put a wood screw or something down it.

The upper pipe on the solenoid, goes where you threw out the t-peice and the rest of the solenoid. :rolleyes:

Yes.  You only need to block off the lower pipe that was on the solenoid.  Just put a wood screw or something down it.  

The upper pipe on the solenoid, goes where you threw out the t-peice and the rest of the solenoid. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, I will give it a go.

What about on a car that doesn't have any connections going into the intercooler piping like on my r31?

I am struggling to understand exactly why your plumbing it into the intercooler piping?

i got a turbotech and am going to put it on as soon as i understand where and why i am putting it.

What about on a car that doesn't have any connections going into the intercooler piping like on my r31?

I am struggling to understand exactly why your plumbing it into the intercooler piping?

i got a turbotech and am going to put it on as soon as i understand where and why i am putting it.

From my understanding it needs to go between the wastegate and turbo. On the case of the R33 the turbo connection is via the intercooler piping. However I cannot comment on a R31 as I never seen this set-up.

Perhaps you could start a new forum discussion on "Installation of boost controller for R31".