SAU Community

Number Plate

chalon

Hey guys,

I'm organising some number plates for my freshly complianced R32GTR.

I'm getting some standard sized plates, but was wondering if anyone know what the legalities were concerning stick on plates for the front? I've seen cars with the stick on's driving around, and think it would be a good idea so I don't block airflow to the intercooler. I also don't want to be drilling holes in my bumper.

If anyone has any (reliable) information about this, that'd be great.

I've requested a copy of the number plate legislation from Transport SA, but I'd be really keen to know from ppl who have the stick on's if you've been hassled by the cops etc.

Cheers,

Alan ;)

Any number plate not manufactured by a Transport SA approved manufacturer (I think there's only 1 in SA) is 100% illegal.

I'ven been warned for plates before on a previous car, so I did some research. Basically only the ones they issue are ok.

Only plates made by an approved manufacturer comply with the requirements of the Motor Vehicles Act. The display of non-approved plates incurs the risk of a Traffic Infringement Notice and a fine.

Plates must be visible from the front and rear and must not be obscured by a tow ball, load, plastic cover, dirt build-up or any part of the vehicle’s bodywork. Operating a vehicle in this condition renders the driver liable to receiving a Traffic Infringement Notice.

Got this off their site for you.

Couldn't find a list of "approved manufacturers" though.

I received the actual legislation for this today as well.

Pretty much what you've found on the website.

So now we all *know* it's illegal, but is it worth taking the risk to do it?

What are the ramifications of a Traffic Infringement notice? Fine? Demerit points?? Defect and Regency inspection?

The number plates transportsa issues don't fit. :(

On the R32 you are required to either bend the edges or trim them. Mine were trimmed neatly, obviously this is illegal but what else can we do?

I haven't been pinged for it as they are trimmed in such a manner its hard see unless you get down on your knees.

OK how about this question:

Do the authorities target cars with any form of personalised plates?

I currently have a set of premium plates on my MX-5 with some nice lucky numbers (superstitious asian stuff). I can simply transfer these across to my GTR if this is going to be an issue.

I did get a nice set of plates for the GTR tho, something related to "RB26" :(

well, the short answer is yes they do (as told to me by a forum member on NissanSilvia.com who is a copper), however I have distinctive peronalised plates and have not been targeted.

In fact for the extremely large amount of time I spend on the road, it is a wonder I never get pulled up. The only very few times I have been pulled over I brought it on myself and deserved it. However, I am not out cruising the hotspots Friday and Staurday nights .... that is just begging for trouble.

Hmmm..... I'm almost tempted to just transfer my premium plates across from the MX-5. Less of a target, and more importantly, more airflow to the intercooler!

Decisions decisions......

you can get transport SA approved plates for your push bike rack that goes on your towbar right... those little ones about half the size.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the legislation doesn't mention size does it? Order 2 bike rack ones and use them :)

and put them on upside down....

I'm sure the legislation doesnt say anything about this...

lol regency trimmed my number plates on the sides for me, what number plates bloody fit on the car?........euro ones?.........i want the square one at the back and the slim at the front if possible?.......this is for a r32

I thought of that already, but unfortunately the legislation *does* specify the size of the plates.

You could always play dumb and do the "sorry officer, I didn't know" routine, but I doubt that's going to get you off more than once.

Not sure about the bike rack number plates, prob a bit of a flaw in the system there, but i'm sure they could get you on it somehow, best to just get the slim plates and not worry about it.

I couldn't be bothered paying $170 or what ever it is a year for custom plates so i ended up getting R and S series plates, think it was $70 for ever, and i can swap to what ever car i want. Works out well with the RB and SR.

Yes, I ended up getting a hold of a nice R series plate myself :(

The R and S series plates are standard alpha-numeric and have to be a specific size according to the regulations. You can't get slimline ones for these :D

I got myself "RBT-026"

Gotta be happy with that! :O

Oh, "RBT-260" is there for the taking if anybody wants it. Well, it was there for the taking last Tuesday anyway.....

"RGT-320" and "RGT-032" were taken already.

Yeah mate I have the RGT-320 on my GTR. Bought the car with them on there. You wouldn't believe the amount of *$&k heads that come up and say. I thought they where a GTR???????