SAU Community

Surging Problem

muck

when the car is on the freeway, the car will drive alright, until it hits bumps in the road, then it feels like the front wheels are being engaged and disengaged over and over...

once it hits the bumps.... it will pretty much surge all the way to my destination.... regardless of road quality... going off the gas will make it go away for a short period... basically its a bitch to drive on the freeway.. everywhere else the car runs fine...

changed plugs gapped to 0.8m and fitted new ngk/ntk el falcon o2 sensor...........

any other suggestions?

when the car is on the freeway, the car will drive alright, until it hits bumps in the road, then it feels like the front wheels are being engaged and disengaged over and over...

once it hits the bumps.... it will pretty much surge all the way to my destination.... regardless of road quality... going off the gas will make it go away for a short period... basically its a bitch to drive on the freeway.. everywhere else the car runs fine...

changed plugs gapped to 0.8m and fitted new ngk/ntk el falcon o2 sensor...........

any other suggestions?

Try sticking it in 4wd and see if that fixes it. If it does, then it's an ATTESSA problem, been playing around with the wiring lately?

BTW, Have you checked the ATTESSA fluid level?

:) cheers ;)

Edited by Sydneykid

could my problem be the rubber?

235x45 front

255x40 rear

235mm X 45% = 105.75mm

255mm X 40% = 102.00mm

That's 3.7% difference, which is on the border line

If the rear tyres are more worn than the front tyres then that would make it worse

265mm X 40% = 106.00mm would be better.

Have you got some other wheels and tyres of the same size that you could test?

:D cheers :(

Edited by Sydneykid

Muck if you want to test with some wheels, i have a spare set of wheels at my place. well only 2 right now, i lent out the other two, but i dont mind taking off my wheels for you.../meet you fellow melbournian stagea owner...

I reckon you should DEFINITLY put the same size/profile tires on each wheel and take it for a spin to see if it fixes the problem.

And it might be better to try 235/45 all round, as if that works OK you could do that permanently, where you may not want 255/40's on the front..

On a slight tangent, I'm doing a bit of a cleanup at the moment, and will be selling a few tires soon (not wheels). Comes from importing a couple of cars over the years, you get to keep the Japanese tires.., but I've decided I really don't need three entire spare sets for the car…

I've got two mint conditions 255/45 tires, and I think I've several good condition (ie 80%+) 235/45's, so PM me if you end up needing some rubber.. :-)

well... took the car up to falls creek the weekend gone...

with my mates 235s on the rear.... drove like a dream...

so the task now.. is to get 4 new rims.......

is there particular offset i have to go for?

maybe 34gtr wheels are the way to go...