SAU Community

Paul Newman Versions

Ghostrider

This is directed to all PNV owners, friends and acquaintances.

I would like to once and for all establish just how many of these cars are in Australia, and in what form and colour combination.

If you own or know someone with a Paul Newman, could you find out it's chassis number and forward it to me via this forum so maybe we can keep a track of them. The build date would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance

1983 Paul Newman Version Coupe Automatic

Chassis: HR30-131338

Model: KHR30 JATI LE

Color/Trim: 375 Z (Two Tone. 1=Gloss Navy Blue & Purple 2=Silver)

Plant: 5

I bought it in Christchurch, NZ by a Eldery Gentleman who imported it from Japan in 1986. I am the second NZ owner. I live in Nelson (Top of the South Island)

Edited by george.bryant

1983 Paul Newman Version Coupe Automatic

Chassis: HR30-131338

Model: KHR30 JATI LE

Color/Trim: 375 Z (Two Tone. 1=Gloss Navy Blue & Purple 2=Silver)

Plant: 5

I bought it in Christchurch, NZ by a Eldery Gentleman who imported it from Japan in 1986. I am the second NZ owner. I live in Nelson (Top of the South Island)

Thanks George,

I bought mine in 2003 from it's original Ozzy importer, and I'm it's second owner here. It's an 84 model, but it has no compliance plates as they misteriously disappeared between the auction house in Japan & the ship it came on, as it came into Australia as an 82 model so that it would comply with the 15 year rule in 1997.

It has just 157K on the dials but it will have zero when I register it again.

I have a Jenesis 260kph speedo for this little gem.

The only reason I questioned your pics is the lack of PNV badges that I see on the ones I know of, at the very least they have the badge on the back next to the number plate.

Mine is marked everywhere, it is 002 White 0ver 028 Silver and had the badge on the back plus signature decals at the bottom of both rear quarters, forward of the rear wheels. It is missing the turbo badge on the boot in front of the ES, but I have a GT badge that will now go on the left side of the boot and the ES on the right.

I am gathering bits to build a big L28 and possibly an L31 for it at a much later stage.

Cheers,

Dennis

I have the Tekemon Iron Mask front & bonnet, the DR lower front spoiler and DR optional rear wing spoiler to go on at a later date.

The Paul Newman badges and exterior decals may have been a option when the vehicle came from the factory. That's what i figure from the elderly man i purchased it off. My bonnet and front trim are also a wee bit off on the colours for some reason. Another thing i noticed is that I have 2 buttons for things i dont even have on my vehicle (some weird headlight dip button, and light wipers).

Maybe my car isn't a PNV but I always thought it was just by the way its set up....I was going to buy a Paul Newman rear badge from Nissan but at NZD$113 ill pass...I'm going to get some decals made up for it :-)

I'm going to get a L28e and a 5spd 280zx box and ecu etc from a man here whos wrecking a 280z. I'm getting all the bits for around $150 so i'm stoked. Then I can make a L28et using bits from my L20et I cant wait!!

Do you think...you could get a mould made from the Iron Mask Bonnet :-) Maybe we could all chip in and do some sort of group buy. I'm sure theres alot of places in Sydney that could do such things (I used to live there 2 years ago). Is it true that the Paul Newman Versions are worth over AUD$10,000 in Australia?

It's not that funny Adam, I bought mine for $5000, yet I have been offered $10000 for it. Understandably it was with all the goodies.

George, the bonnets are getting scarce, but the biggest problem is the headlights, they are quickly gaining rocking horse sh!t status and the grilles maybe. I have a couple of spare grilles that are not perfect, I will try to get some pics of them and post them, but as I said the headlights are getting to be the biggest problem.

When you do your L28, get the L28E inlet manifold, as Stagefumer tells me it supports better torque & power figures than our stock L20ET manifold, but the optimum is a 280ZX Turbo if you find one. Maybe you should consider swapping the engine numbers as well, to keep it original ha ha.

I have a couple of similar buttons on mine that don't do anything, but I checked mine with the Paul Newman Register club in Japan and got the build dates from him. My chassis number is HR30-200170 and it was built in August/84, the engine number L20-980597 and was imported with 57818k on the dial.

The interesting point I found in a sales brochure from Japan was, the Paul Newman Version wasn't released prior to 83, yet in Australia I have an 82 model, ha ha. I knew this car existed because I had seen it getting around my area and spoke to the owner 12 months earlier, so when I was in a position to buy I sourced him out. It was going to cost me about $57-5800 to get one from Japan, then it had to be complied etc, yet I offered him 5 and he grabbed it, as it was due for rego and he wanted out of it anyway. It has been garaged for all of it's Australian life and maticulously cared for.

As for Adam's friend, if they knew they will never come into the country again, due to our new compliance laws and that they have reached CULT status in Japan and would cost in excess of AU$10000 just to buy it in Japan, makes a good one all that more valueable, but really only for the die hards.

My PNV badge on the back is in my tool box and I intend to get it scanned and decals made of it, so that it is not totally missing, but would you find out if it is still available from your dealer as Sydney dealers don't say jack for it's availability.

I have removed the boot garnish that says Skyline and replaced it with a similar chrome strip off a hatch, only because I don't want Nissan or Skyline on it at all, I want to keep 'em guessing when they get blown away or they see me out cruising. If I go down the L31 track, it may very well be the case of the earlier than later.

Cheers,

Dennis

I dont own mine anymore as Zapata bought it off me. He will be able to supply the chassis numbers etc

Mine was a 1984 model, GT-ES in white. It had the Paul Newman badge on the rear (there are photos of it on my website - http://community.webshots.com/user/ravenoak). It was a 5 speed manual with the following luxury items:

cruise

power window/mirrors

power drivers seat

4 speaker stereo

headlight washers

paul newman logo on the seats and steering wheel

I also think it had a LSD

when I sold it was in great condition. It was imported in 2002 by Autostyle and it cost me $9500 with 118000 kms on the clock. It had a small dent which I had them remove before I took delivery but otherwise the paint and panels were remarkable for a 20 year old car. The Skyline garnish was missing from the rear but I had a custom rubber strip with thin chrome edging made up for the rear. Looks great and factory except to those in the know.

At that time I was told there were only 3 in NSW (hence the IOF-003) plates but ghost rider later told me I was told a bit of bull on that one :O oh well.

Re the values of them, I tend to disagree they are worth serious dollars in THIS country. Lets face it in stock form they are slow, the steering is wooden and the Skyline nuts in this country want DR30's, HR-31 coupes and GTR's, given the racing history of those cars in Australia. Maybe also because they require leaded petrol in stock form and insurance is expensive for the value of the car. Whilst I enjoyed the car, the cheap price of R32 GTS-T's will largely see the majority of people buy one of these rather than a car with the boat anchor that is the L20 ET.

Leaving that aside I would still like to park one next to my STi.

Do you guys have a plug under your driveres seat for something that isnt plugged in? I have the one that controls my electric seat anbd then that other one. Could you please scan that Rear badge Ghostrider and maybe email me a copy of it? As that would make my job of getting the decals made up so much easier.

As for Paul Newman Versions they do have a R200 LSD which is apparently very very strong, and was used in the rally S12s and in many other race cars. You know too Ghostrider, even if it doesnt say Nissan or Skyline its still very obvious from the lights isnt it? Talking bout lights, a hilux pulled out in front of me and i cracked into it damaging my FL headlight, FL Guard and the bar thing under that is between the lights and bumper.

Luckily theres a few people on www.trademe.co.nz wrecking r30s. So I've managed to get myself a mint new condition headlight. Plus i'm getting the tinted tailights (if they fit! i'm assuming they'd look awesome!).

The thing that annoys me is how difficult is it to fit a headunit (cdplayer; etc) As the dash is an oddball size and doesnt have enough depth :-(

Will post photos of damage later today. Just to let you know I have never seen another R30 Coupe in the South Island of New Zealand in my life, and where i live (Nelson Pop around 65,000). I've only seen about 4 other R30s and they were discusting looking sedans that hadnbt been looked after. Saying that; theres one accross the road from my house in a wreckers yard in MINT condition, its non turbo but very nice and they only want $1000. Wil post a pic up :-)

In regards to the price, I got mine for NZ$600 which is about AUD$550 it was Registered and had a current Warrant of Fitness (WOF in NZ). It has blown up on me twice but it still keeps going. I'd like to take it to Australia next year when I go back to Sydney, then eventually sell it on in Japan.

Regards, George

Edited by george.bryant

I dont own mine anymore as Zapata bought it off me. He will be able to supply the chassis numbers etc

Mine was a 1984 model, GT-ES in white. It had the Paul Newman badge on the rear (there are photos of it on my website - http://community.webshots.com/user/ravenoak). It was a 5 speed manual with the following luxury items:

cruise

power window/mirrors

power drivers seat

4 speaker stereo

headlight washers

paul newman logo on the seats and steering wheel

I also think it had a LSD

when I sold it was in great condition. It was imported in 2002 by Autostyle and it cost me $9500 with 118000 kms on the clock. It had a small dent which I had them remove before I took delivery but otherwise the paint and panels were remarkable for a 20 year old car. The Skyline garnish was missing from the rear but I had a custom rubber strip with thin chrome edging made up for the rear. Looks great and factory except to those in the know.

At that time I was told there were only 3 in NSW (hence the IOF-003) plates but ghost rider later told me I was told a bit of bull on that one :P oh well.

Re the values of them, I tend to disagree they are worth serious dollars in THIS country. Lets face it in stock form they are slow, the steering is wooden and the Skyline nuts in this country want DR30's, HR-31 coupes and GTR's, given the racing history of those cars in Australia. Maybe also because they require leaded petrol in stock form and insurance is expensive for the value of the car. Whilst I enjoyed the car, the cheap price of R32 GTS-T's will largely see the majority of people buy one of these rather than a car with the boat anchor that is the L20 ET.

Leaving that aside I would still like to park one next to my STi.

Yes I did buy this car and this is what I can add

Chassis no: HR30-212891

Model no: KHR30 JFTI LZ

Color Trim: 002 Z

No idea about build date, can't find it anywhere.

on another topic, can anyone tell me where the tyre placard is. I can't find it in any of the usual places.

Cheers

Are you in NSW and if yes, where?

I am near Campbelltown and I wouldn't mind seeing another one.

Cheers,

Dennis

Yes I did buy this car and this is what I can add

Chassis no: HR30-212891

Model no: KHR30 JFTI LZ

Color Trim: 002 Z

No idea about build date, can't find it anywhere.

on another topic, can anyone tell me where the tyre placard is. I can't find it in any of the usual places.

Cheers

i got a old mate with a 4 door PNV, havent seen him around for a long time though, he was the only other person i knew off with an r30 on the coast here, he always though that the 4 door was the only PNV produced, turns out he was wrong just that the 4door he had/has? was even more rare....he posted in the old "R30" thread before the classics section was on here.....

i got a old mate with a 4 door PNV, havent seen him around for a long time though, he was the only other person i knew off with an r30 on the coast here, he always though that the 4 door was the only PNV produced, turns out he was wrong just that the 4door he had/has? was even more rare....he posted in the old "R30" thread before the classics section was on here.....

Thanks Matt,

I knew of that car, as you said he posted in the other thread, that marathon that eventually got locked down for good.

With mine, I think it's only 5 in Oz unless George brings his back from NZ it will then be 6.

Thanks Matt,

I knew of that car, as you said he posted in the other thread, that marathon that eventually got locked down for good.

With mine, I think it's only 5 in Oz unless George brings his back from NZ it will then be 6.

i saw a 4 door paul newman sedan, it was on trademe with a $1 reserve and got upto like $100. Annoyed me cause I was going to give the dude $100 just for the PN badge but he wasnt interested