SAU Community

Question About Respray?

Hi lads,

There's a particular R33 gtst S2 that im lookin at getting .. its nice and clean and looks to be in good condition, and most of all its as stock as they come which is what im after.

Everything about the car meets what im after, however the "gt25t" sticker on the back is missing .. Usually something like that wouldn't particularly bother me, but I sorta came to the conclusion that it might mean that the car has had a respray.

For the record, the car is a 1996 model, and is painted in black. Are there any good/tricky ways to tell if its had a respray or not? or is this a fair indication?

I guess the real question is, how concerned should I be if it *has* had a respray ? :D

Hi lads,

There's a particular R33 gtst S2 that im lookin at getting .. its nice and clean and looks to be in good condition, and most of all its as stock as they come which is what im after.

Everything about the car meets what im after, however the "gt25t" sticker on the back is missing .. Usually something like that wouldn't particularly bother me, but I sorta came to the conclusion that it might mean that the car has had a respray. 

For the record, the car is a 1996 model, and is painted in black.  Are there any good/tricky ways to tell if its had a respray or not? or is this a fair indication?

I guess the real question is, how concerned should I be if it *has* had a respray ?  :(

where abouts is the car from?

and panel beaters/spray shops can tell if it has a thicker/thinner coat of paint than factory...

located at a dealer (in QLD).. havent seen the car yet, only pics .. all looks well from what I can derrive from the photos.

Are there (m)any skylines that would have come into the country without the "gt25t" sticker? My only thoughts are that if the car is lacking that sticker, its probably had a respray either because the paint was nasty, or its taken some damage.

I dunno if it helps, but, here's a pic ..

skyline.jpg

Edited by knifebunny

My S2 doesn't have the sticker.

If you say it's S2, it's a bit suspicious because the "SKYLINE" garnish on the rear is clear - on S2 cars it is meant to be the same colour as the body.

Fastest way to find clear things up is goto the Nissan FAST thread ( http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=44182 ) and post up the VIN number - that was people can find out the original colour code and date of manufacture of the vehicle.

If you say it's S2, it's a bit suspicious because the "SKYLINE" garnish on the rear is clear - on S2 cars it is meant to be the same colour as the body.

Fastest way to find clear things up is goto the Nissan FAST thread ( http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=44182 ) and post up the VIN number - that was people can find out the original colour code and date of manufacture of the vehicle.

or just put the VIN here and ill do it for you

i was gonna say the same about the skyline garnish at the back...unless its 1 of those 40th anniversary 1's...i saw a white 1 for sale which was like 96 or 97 model, and it had clear like the series 1's .

also, maybe the sticker was just taken off....if its just a sticker, then its not hard to take off, and a lot of people like the clean look

that's wierd coz i used to have an S1 that was teh same color as the body..

Hi lads,

For the record, the car is a 1996 model, and is painted in black.  Are there any good/tricky ways to tell if its had a respray or not? or is this a fair indication?

I guess the real question is, how concerned should I be if it *has* had a respray ?  :)

hey, i would not say that is a fair indication. u need someone who knows what to look for to see the car in person.

i have seen many gts-ts in the past 2 years, and at least 8 out of 10 have had a full respray or had lots of the car painted.

its not really a worry its just up to u when it comes to how good the paintjob is. u wont find one with original paint so in case u were thinking that most have original paint, they dont.

so basically dont worry. but dont buy without seeing in person, it could have all sorts of things wrong with it.

also the skyline panel may light up at night (factory rare option) so ask the seller if it does. if it does not it is either broken, or it has been replaced with a series one part.

Edited by siksII

actually, thats interesting... "gts25t" is just a sticker, yet so many r33's are debadged at the rear. You can understand that people would flog the "GT" badge on the other side, but the sticker?? ...maybe r33 owners just dont like it & take it off or something? Mine still has the sticker, and i've never considered taking it off... i like to proudly advertise the skyline name :D

Edited by Mickroy

haha @ thinking it's an n/a

now that i have noticed it on this particular ride, i've seen quite a few others cruising around without it .. it seems to be more common than I thought.

Seems to be one of those nit-picky things you only seem to pickup on when you're genuinely interested in making a purchase :D