SAU Community

Smoke Out Exhaust

huddy

hi guys got a sort of problem...

got a cefiro rb20det

the car started to blow oily smoke out the exhaust which though to be blow by, meaning standard turbo was buggered... (car was making 140rwkw)

...so to fix this problem i thought replacing the turbo with a hks2530 (2nd hand) would fix the problem and wouldnt have the re-occurring problem of replacing standard turbo because of the ceramic wheel or rebuilding...

...but it hasnt...

car seems to blow smoke when revving the car up after sitting on idle - the longer on idle it seems the more smoke blows through.

however i have a catch can setup with hoses running on the right hand side of the rocker cover to can, and hose from can to intake.. and there is no oil in catch can so i cant see oil going through this side of the hose to go back through the intake

this is making me think that the 2nd hand hks2530 isnt the problem as it seems to be working properly making 225rwkw and spooling up ok.

someone suggested that it may be a 'valve stem seal' but not on the right hand side of the motor but on the left hand side... i know nothing about this sorta thing so thats why i'm posting up

sorry for the long post

cheers

-Matt

Sounds like rings..get a comp test, the valve stem seal story is usually what people say when selling a car that needs a rebuild. valve stem seepage burns off quickly when you start the car. after all its just a rubber seal that stops oil running down the valve stems/guides when the engine is stationary.

Edited by madbung

I wouldn't be saying its buggerd

Mine used to do this with the catch can just venting to atmo of the rocker covers

I used to run my oil level quite high due to me having a remote mount filter and not wanting to encounter oil surge around corners

By running my oil level high, and the catch can to atmo, it would blow smoke at idle, like you I thought it was turbo, as the compression was fine, so I replaced the turbo. Problem still there...

I then connected my PCV setup back to stock and drove it like that for a few days, problem went away.

There was minimal amount of oil in the intake, so I decided to retain the stock PCV setup, but add a closed catch can between the right hand take off point on the cam cover and the intake. This filters the air (consits of a catch can with steel wool stuffed in a stocking) before it gets to the intake.

By running it this way, the PCV valve can do its job at idle and off boost, and keep the crankcase gases to a minimum, but once its on boost, it goes though the filtered catch can and into the inlet.

By running it this way, there are no smelly catch can fumes, no smoke at idle, and clean intake and cooler pipes. It really just improves the stock setup, it doesn't alter it in a major way

Fixed my problem, that was almost 80,000kms ago and its still going good, just need to change the filter setup every 3 months or so

I run around 1.3bar daily and it works well. I find the first time it boosts up a bit of shit come out the exhaust, mainly just crap that can't get blown out until its at full noise

My oil level is always within about 50-60mls of whatever I put in when I dump it, so there isn't a issue with broken pistons etc.

Maybe a little wear and tear, I guess after 165,000kms of a pretty hard life, I'd expect that

If you need anymore info let me know, I can send you a few pics of how mine is setup

Chris

ok...

i havent had a leakdown test before, only the compression test... i'll have a look at the back of the motor for oil and get back

what colour smoke should i keep an eye out for? blue or white? i'll get back on that also

this was also doing the same thing before the catch can was installed...

and i'm pretty sure mine is also installed between the right hand take off point on the cam cover and the intake; and its still blows smokey...

also when i start it up and rev/move it out the back of the exhaust black fluidy dots get shot out...its not really oily oily, but its black and seems a little watery... (the exhaust system is front/dump pipe, straight through no cat/muffler with twin cone pipes)

Stange if it was doing this before the catch can went on and it was stock

Generally, blue smoke = engine/piston problems, white smoke = turbo problem, excessive steam = headgasket problems

does your catch can have much oil and crap in it? Is your PCV valve (located on the plenum, where the l/h cam cover hose attaches) working properly?

i did notice a little bit of oil at the attatchment where the hose joins on the l/h cam rocker cover its still the standard hose (short black one straight to plenum)

the catch can still looks brand new lol... :) (this is on the r/h side between r/h rocker cover outlet and intake)

any ideas on that black watery stuff - could that be headgasket?

sorry, but just so i dont get confused any more lol what is the PCV valve (what does PCV mean?) the can's on the right hand side... or the passenger side of the car - with 1 hose coming off the right of the outlet on top of the rocker cover ----> catch can, then the other one from the catch can ---> back to the intake (there is no filter on it so its not venting out...

the standard turbo once pulled off didnt really have much shaft play at all... seemed pretty good condition as we put it on the car (2nd hand) only around 1000km's ago...

how hard is a leak down test what does it involve and costing?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS, appreciate it.

another thing aswell ... its almost as if 'soot' is coming out the exhaust... its watery black dots when first comes out but dries out like soot soon after...??

and i cracked open the catch can aswell to see if any oil is coming through, but getting sucked straight back up the other hose into the intake... but nope catch can is empty and looks like not one drop of oil has passed through :D

mine soots a bit too. it's fairly normal thing. Usually mixed with condensation when motor is cold. PCV (positive crank case ventilation) valve is part of the emissions system. It stops air going into engine, only out.

car seems to blow smoke when revving the car up after sitting on idle - the longer on idle it seems the more smoke blows through.

That is indeed a typical valve stem seal sign.

I've seen quite a few rb20's where their valve stem seals are shot.

My old rb20det used to blow a couple puffs of smoke just before a gear change after a cold start up, after that it was clean. The valve stem seals were a little leaky.

Edited by Cubes