SAU Community

Acetone In Your Fuel Tank Anyone?

G'day again.

For results I can back to you all on tue/wed. currently r32 gts-t 155rwkw (dyno proven), getting some dyno time for chipped ecu, involves pre and post dyno runs. So far I am happy with the addition of acetone, therefore getting the A/F fixed running this mixture. Dan :)

How do you safely store acetone?

What do you guys use to carry the desired amount of acetone? Would a plain water plastic water bottle do?

Whats the sequence of adding the acetone? Do you pour it in first, then fill up the tank, or do you fill up the tank and then top it up? How do you get past the little spring mounted metal flap that covers the petrol hole?

Sorry for all the questions but i wanna try this soon and dont want anything to go wrong...

Thanks!

Edited by Tigger

i reckon buy a bottle of octane booster or injector cleaner and once thats used up just fill it with acetone. That should be easily and safely stored in the car as those bottles have the protector twist top caps thingy....

Acetone can be stored in either in plastic or brown analytical bottles (being the better but not the best thing to be sliding around in the boot).

run tank till you are alomst empty...add the acetone via a fuel funnel (found at h/ware,servos etc) then add the premium on top, this would be a good mixing method due the aggitation and fluid turb.

try it, even for a once off. :)

I must say, it all sounds too good to be true...

Im still waiting for some more positive feedback before i put my baby to the test :P

Also, if i recall correctly, RC Drifters soak their rubber tires in acetone to make then hard and plasticky and easier to drift with... Hmmm?

BTW, take care when pouring the acetone into the tank... you dont want to strip the paint!

Wiki on Acetone as a fuel additive: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Ace...a_Fuel_Additive

Edited by Tigger

Hmm I put some in my car yesterday when I filled up... I put the acetone in after the fuel tho just cuz of the logistics of the whole operation. Went for a little drive today and I'm hoping it's not just wishful thinking but the car seems to run a hell of a lot nicer. I am reluctant to say this for fear of being seen as an idiot :P but my impression is this is the nicest the car has ever run... whether or not it's just cuz i drive an '89 and the acetone has cleaned some of the built up shit out of it but it just seems to drive err, smoother?

Anyways I'll let you know after i've driven it for a bit more. Putting some into a mates S14 today so i'll get his impression as well.

just bought a 4l can at bunnings for 36 bux! :D but hopefully it will pay for itself. put 37 litres in last time without acetone and got ~310km out of it. so put another 37 litres in today coz i'm empty and put 100mils of acetone with it too. will reset the km/counter and see how the performance is.

results coming up soon..

nOOSE

Here's Dan Rutter's comments on acetone additives.

Dan's no automotive engineer but he is technically minded, tends to do a bit of research based on scientific first principles, and has a pretty good bullshit detector.

The LubeDev site says there's a Conspiracy to stop knowledge of the greatness of acetone from reaching the public. Amazingly, this Conspiracy has prevented all of the independent bodies and universities and so on that could verify the claim scientifically from doing so, even though people have been tinkering with Otto cycle engines pretty much since they were invented 129 years ago. What's left is just the usual flurry of testimonials.

You can download every secret book Scientology's ever created, McDonald's failed to smack down two penniless environmentalists, but as for solid evidence of the effectiveness of zillions of allegedly surefire fuel miser devices and strategies... zilch.

The LubeDev site says there's a Conspiracy to stop knowledge of the greatness of acetone from reaching the public. Amazingly, this Conspiracy has prevented all of the independent bodies and universities and so on that could verify the claim scientifically from doing so, even though people have been tinkering with Otto cycle engines pretty much since they were invented 129 years ago. What's left is just the usual flurry of testimonials.

You can download every secret book Scientology's ever created, McDonald's failed to smack down two penniless environmentalists, but as for solid evidence of the effectiveness of zillions of allegedly surefire fuel miser devices and strategies... zilch.

Acetone in the petrol is another atomisation/vaporisation scheme, and works no better than any of the others.

That last link seems to be from an actual automotive engineer, and makes for interesting reading.

Edited by scathing

waiting for results and wish that SK had an answer too :O

Well drove around with the acetone today. driving ...well i feel it's actually running better but could be just wishful thinking. :D did about 50km's today so we'll see how the rest of the tank feels and the milaege. although i must admit i'm driving it slightly harder coz it seems to run better....if that makes sense.

nOOSE