SAU Community

Skyline vs. 300ZX

I'm hoping to buy an import sports car soon and am basically considering either a Skyline or a 300ZX TT. Has anyone in here ever owned both cars ? If so, how would you rate them in terms of performace and reliability ? Are there any particular bad points/things to watch out for in either of these beasts ?

Cheers,

EXIT :confused:

The 300ZX is a nice car ..... but weighs in at around 1500-1600kg

Silver-Arrowz is right, most articles on modified 300zxs stress how tight the working area is in the engine bay. (either a pain in the arse if you are doing it your self or more expensive in labour)

The R32-R33 skylines weigh around 1200-1300kg and I reckon look better (not as dated) and there is a lot more performance parts in Australia for them.

:alcoholic

I own an R33 Skyline and my best mate owns a 300ZX TT. In a drag i beat him (but i've got a bigger turbo, but only run 0.8bar when racing him, makes it more fair). The 300ZX gets off the line quite quickly with the extra 0.5lt and smaller turbos. But once mine winds up i reel him in. Also the fact that i haven't learned how to launch my new twin plate clutch, and that i need the car tuned badly!

Both nice cars, but i think i like the skyline better

Andrew

You are of course going to get a biased opinion due to this being a Skyline forum, however I was very close to buying a 300zx but was warned against it because of there unreliability, high insurance costs (being a twin turbo), high maintenance costs and the lack of people who will look at them when something goes wrong.

Get yourself a nice Skyline. You won't regret it. :P

Originally posted by 2fardown

You are of course going to get a biased opinion due to this being a Skyline forum, however I was very close to buying a 300zx but was warned against it because of there unreliability, high insurance costs (being a twin turbo), high maintenance costs and the lack of people who will look at them when something goes wrong.  

Get yourself a nice Skyline.  You won't regret it. :P

My words exactly down to a T! I like the shape of the 300zx however you can make the skyline look verrrrrrry sexy with a couple of body mods!!

I read in HPI (issue 23 i think) that 300zx's were really high maintenance and the VG30 engines were softer and could break easier under hard use. Aparently they were the worst performance engines Nissan ever produced. Go the Skyline if you want to deal with modding later on.

Originally posted by fatz

if you geta 300 get an auto one they go harder than the manuals

pete

I don't know about that. The 300zx I drove which was auto felt so sluggish it wasn't funny. Very slow off the mark. Though I haven't driven a manual, I can't see it being any worse.

As far as looks go, the 300zx leaves all Skylines far behind.

The Skyline has it's heritage in four door sedans, the normal rake widescreen is a clue.

But on a practical side the Skyline is much much better.

Although the 300zx is cheap to buy, upkeep is heavy.

T.

300ZX's apparently have a habit of doing heater cores. Big $$$ to fix... not in parts... just in sheer amount of labour to get to the damn thing. Whole dash needs to come out. Mates workshop recently did one and charged the guy nearly a grand in labour alone.

Red17

300zx are slow due the weight. They make up for weight with the twin turbo if your getting the twin turbo version, also the engine has no space at all pointed out by someone. The power to weight ratio is not good as the skylines power to weight ratio. I like the looks of the skyline way better also the 300zx seems too phat for my liking. Thats just my opinion people may think differently.

My friends trueno 4age kept up to a 300zx non turbo to give you an idea.

Originally posted by GT-Rmgedon

I read in HPI (issue 23 i think) that 300zx's were really high maintenance and the VG30 engines were softer and could break easier under hard use. Aparently they were the worst performance engines Nissan ever produced. Go the Skyline if you want to deal with modding later on.

Gotta disagree with this, this engine (shared with local Maxima) has been regularly voted one of the world's best engines.

Originally posted by Duncan

Gotta disagree with this, this engine (shared with local Maxima) has been regularly voted one of the world's best engines.

well the people in japan using the r34 GTR shell uses the vg30 engine in the car to race as they don't allow 4wd cars something like that.

So i guess its reliable