SAU Community

Good Mechanics

JC_R32

if i owned GW i won't give a shit toowhen a customer came in to replace a radiator and blame about blown g.box afterward

Tell me which workshop will and i am taking my gemini there... now! :P

not sure about the 1700 bill though

Graham West have been nothing but honest with me, I reckon they are very trustworthy - thats the main reason Im going there. They look you in the eye & tell it like it is.

Heres an example, was going to have highpressure fuel lines installed, they reckon after looking into it, that the current Jap spec stuff in the car is way better quailty that general aussie spec stuff. So they didnt do the job to save me money and make sure I wasnt going backwards with my car mods.

But Id suggest every mechanic has good / bad stories about them. I deal with Ashley & mainly Brett West, both are top blokes.

I still dont understand this high pressure fuel lines thing. :)

Fuel lines to me are metal lines with rubber lines/hose connecting up to the fuel pump, fuel filter and finally the fuel rail.

Its always worth changing fuel line hose after its 5 or more years old, especially if you plan on running close to the maximum rated pressure.

I'm unsure with the R33's but with the R32's Nissan use crimp type clamps on the fuel line hose. These hose clamps are total crap and would not trust them to hold the full 75psi pressure that EFI fuel line hose is rated at.

Check your fuel hose clamps and fuel line hose for *any* little cracks.

Head down to the local sprints, motor mates, supercrap, autobarn and ask for a few meters of EFI fuel line hose. It will be expensive per meter if not then chances are its std fuel line hose that is not rated for high pressure efi use.

To replace some of these little rubber hose pieces is a real pain in the arse, in the R32's you are required to remove the fuel rail and possibly the plenum, it takes ALOT of time. :)

Edited by Cubes

yeah i have heard the same from a few other people. but he has hot cars out the front all the time. probably fixing his own stuff ups. i had mine tuned at high-tech dyno on the corner of south & daws road, had no problems, speedy service and fixed price quotes. i recommend them, plus the place looks spotless and organized always a good sign!

anyone know a good place to pick up good turbos from (2nd hand). or anyone that reconditions them. silly question maybe but i am new to the scene. someone suggested replacing the creamic exhaust with a steel one so i can run more boost. ceramic wheels spool up quicker than steel ones right? port matching also gives better flow therefore more power? anyone with suggestions about a good turbo/tune shop, otherwise i will stick with hi-tech dyno. feedback?

Graham West are good, but very expensive. They squeezed 173RWKW out of my old CA18DET sil80 on a "safe" tune.

I have heard nothing but good things about boostworx, will be taking my new car there from now on.

Four Brothers - Stay as far away from that place as possible, far far away.

TURBO REBUILDS...

To ALL,

One of adelaides best turbo modifers/ rebuilders is Bill Keen of A.T.S. (adelaide turbo service) marion rd,marion.

Regards,

SKYLINE (kym)... B)

Edited by skyline

TURBO REBUILDS...

To ALL,

One of adelaides best turbo modifers/ rebuilders is Bill Keen of A.T.S. (adelaide turbo service) marion rd,marion.

Regards,

SKYLINE (kym)... B)

any relation to John Keen (formerly of Turbo Tune) ?

Morepower have done a lot of work on my car, and I've had no problems. I didnt mind Tillbrooks but the price was a lot higher.

What sort of prices are we talking for Morpower? Obviously depends what they are doing, but what have you had done there?

Cheers mate!

Look, at the end of the day everyone takes their cars to a place that they trust.

1 thing that cannot be guaranteed is the workmanship of anyone on your car. The only way you are going to get good service is by customer loyalty. Find someone who knows what they are doing, and stay with them.

Me- I know Shaun @ Boostworx does know his stuff, and does a good job. I go back when i need to.Why? Because i know he wont fix bogus problems, doesnt fark around, and he doesnt charge like a wounded bull.

Asking people what problems they have had is fine, but dont take someones opinion of a workshop the final say. Just because they have great service, doesnt mean you will get the same.

ps - ive lost a motor due to someone overtightening a tensioner bearing. I wouldnt take my Turbo to be Tuned there :(

I met Shaun through Tim and Ivan @ RPM.

Tim used to do all my work, Tim sold up Ivan took over with Shaun managing. Shaun's been around the scene for many years, he knows what he's doing and best of all..... He doesn't pop motors due to stating... 'ahh I'll pull another 20rwkw out of it', exactly how Tim used to work.

Tuning isn't rocket science, some simply try to push it too hard, running too close to the edge.

Edited by Cubes

I agree with Cubes, My car will be re tuned thru Shaun soon as well as anything else i need. The only other place i would recomend is Graham West, they have level heads on them, and always talk about SAFE tunes NOT MAX, but with a higher price tag than Boostworx....you do the math!

Also know of a old mates RX7 that blew up on the OLD RPM dyno back in the day, almost seems fitting that he(tim) is now at Tilbrooks......COUGH COUGH

Damn dude that was quite some time ago, all i know is they were doing work on it, then chucked it on the dyno and BANG!!!

Look i'm sure there was more to it but hey when a car is on the dyno you can see if things are wrong and shut it down, Like shaun had to on the SAU dyno day for me, was running well lean. Giddyup!!