SAU Community

Has Anyone Gained Hp From Cdi Ignition Alone

I agree, the standard coils would be the weak link but not to a major degree.

This being said the coils are not too expensive anyway and worth the expense if your in a high HP bracket, otherwise I don't think that its worth it.

Mercury Outboard coils are @$75.00 each x 6 = $450 plus leads, brackets and other installation costs.

Maybe the money could be spent on mods to take advantage of the extra spark, ie; a tune which I beleive will give an overall better result.

If budget allows - get everything!

What was the actual part number of the mercury outboard coils you where looking at?

I'll see what i can do to track down some of these - if i purchase lets say 10 of them or something then hopefully we could get some kind of discount.

Here is a picture of the Mercury Outboard Coil

Mercury_Outboard_CoilF69858.jpg

Part No: 339-832757A4

Best Price I could get were @29.00 US from the states.

Just got confirmation on shipping charges and convertered it to AU

AU$40.00 each

AU$94.00 shipping for 6 coils

Total: $334.00

Edited by WetGTR

You will have to find out if the PFC has output drivers to run the MSD Unit.

I have also heard that you shouldn't run the Mercury Coils from a MSD DIS-4, can't take it and blows up. Something about the coils having almost no resisstance.

WETGTR, With the autronic SMC and the CDi you run three outputs from the computer into the CDi then run coils like the 4AGZE style with two leads from each coil using three outputs from the CDI (three 4A coils equals six cylinders work of spark plugs) and you dont have to run in a waste spark mode.

WETGTR, With the autronic SMC and the CDi you run three outputs from the computer into the CDi then run coils like the 4AGZE style with two leads from each coil using three outputs from the CDI (three 4A coils equals six cylinders work of spark plugs) and you dont have to run in a waste spark mode.

The 3 output drivers from the Autronics will give you no other choice then to run wasted spark. The only other way would be to replace the ECU with something that has 6 output drivers and a CDI unit that has 6 input drivers.

It's not the coils that will make any difference, it's the ECU & CDI unit. The coils are just the dumb unit and spark when told to by the CDI.

Note: the MSD DIS-4 is only a 4 driver unit so on a 6 cylinder car you can only use 3 drivers which means you'll be runing the wasted spark setup. The Autronics CDI has only 4 drivers aswell.

I know the Motec ECU and CDI's run 6 input & 6 output drivers.

What about the the HKS twin spark thingy dose that need output drivers to run the Unit.

They work off DLI for correct timing and sequence for spark plug control . The DLI system is integrated into your ECU or you have a dwell board controlling igition. The outputs I was speaking of are only for CDI type of igition.

Basically their are 2 types of systems out there:

1. DLI

2. CDI

from what I know anyway.

The HKS DLI will work aswell but I think the benefits of CDI are work it eg: higher spark energy, longer duration spark, multi spark.

You will have to find out if the PFC has output drivers to run the MSD Unit.

I have also heard that you shouldn't run the Mercury Coils from a MSD DIS-4, can't take it and blows up. Something about the coils having almost no resisstance.

What blows up the MSD or the mercury coils?

Hmmm...

So what coils can you use on the MSD without something going bang? lol

What blows up the MSD or the mercury coils?

Hmmm...

The MSD CDI fails.

Check this link from the EFI UNI

http://efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31...75c8a102322abca

Checkout this link for some good information regarding CDI and other related spark information.

http://efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39...hlight=msd+dis4

You will still run waste spark with the 4agze coils but only on one cylinder. Its better than running one or 2 coils for the whole system, nothing wrong with waste spark on a drag circuit or high hp application any way as you should be checking the plugs all the time!!!

I agree with what your saying. I beleive a good setup would be to have a single coil for each spark plug so say a 6 coil setup for a 6 cylinder car.

I think you have to think this through in regards to CDI as I don't know if all ECU's have the output drivers to run this type of setup. Because CDI works differently then Inductive systems.

I know that with the Autronics you have to add in a dwell board just so it can work with inductive systems which skylines have. You then have to go into the ECU's software and change the +ve trigger to -ve trigger.

Not too hard but not as simple as just remove the ignitor, plug in a CDI and on the way you go.

Another thing about CDI is they are an invertor type unit which transforms 12V to 450V-500V so its going to get hot. A quality item will last.

Check to see which coils will work well for the CDI you wish to use.

Hmmm...

Not sure with the MSD but maybe the Bosch coil or the MSD Coils should do the trick but you have to check on this.

I have the bosch Part no if you need it @$44.00 each and has been highly recommended. Available at most bosch outlets as they are used on Fords.