SAU Community

Crunching

mr_r33gtst

most of the time when i quick shift from 1st to 2nd gear i can feel the gears crunching together, but you dont hear much of a crunching.but if i gear down e.g- from 4th to 2nd it never crunches.

if im driving normally from 1st to 2nd it doesn't crunch at all.

recently did a gear box oil change using standard oil, and was doing it before oil change.

would it be my 2nd gear syncros.

i heard mayb using redline oil may help..

anyone got any suggestions....cheers

Hi mate...

I've got similar problems...

I've got an R33 RB25DEt and I love it.. My transmission is fine at slow changes and quick shifting but as soon as I get over about 120km/h... whenever I change gears... the teeth grind...

I've been told the syncros are half stuffed.. I don't really know much about transmissions so if anyone else can shed some light on the subject, that'd be great.. I could reccommend changing your oil as well... get some good oil this time..

Redline or use some slick50 treatment. Or Nulon. I think Slick is the best. Couldhelp reduce the problem. Since you have already replaced the oil I would buy a ttreatment of some sort...siphon out a little gearbox oil and add the treatment. Drive for 1000kms see if it gets better...If not - take out a little bit more and add another additive...

Not sure if it will be bad to mix but the box doesnt sound thmuch good anyway...

Redline is more just a decent gear oil - I think the traeatments have more of a chance of working.

Edited by benl1981

same problems here.. just make sure your clutch is bled up nicely too.. from all 3 points as this could help. I wouldnt bother with expensive gearbox oil cause if ur synchros are f**ked its only gonna be a waste of money when u can put them towards a synchro set.

I just changed the oils in my r33 gtr to redline synthetics and the gearbox is alot smoother however I am now getting a clunking noise in reverse that is amplified by this oil. I have been told the noise is normal though but it is anoying.

Would recomend it though as it was stiff through the gears before and had a it of a whirring sound coming from the drivetrain that has significantly been reduced.

sb..

i changed my gear box oil to reline synthetic. so far ive driven 150 k's after changing the oil. changing into 2nd doesn't grind and crunch anymore, and the gear shifting has gone smoother. I did not adjust my slave cylinder as the mechanic said i only needed to adjust it if it was crunchin in every gear. So far so good.

Thanks for the help!

I had synchro issues with 2nd & 4th gears..

Changed to Redline Lightweight Shockproof, synchro issues resolved.

I would rather try a $130 high grade oil first than get my box pulled down and the synchro's replaced.

Hmmm let me see which is it $130 or $1500 for parts and labour getting the box pulled apart..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• G'day Rob.  Have you sold your 370GT?  I have just started looking.
    • Could you have not cut off the OEM flange, weld on a larger flange for DBW?
    • Maybe of interest, a little while ago I spoke to one of the guys from Rajab Racing Developments and he hinted to me they could be developing a new cast exhaust manifold. Incidentally, they have already made one for the barra and it looks functional 
    • So Bathurst coming up so really need to get this new ECU in. I regret going to flex fuel and all the headaches associated with DBW with cruise etc....a miss the simplicity of Power Fc   I make enough power that I should have just gone back to 98 but...anyway Turns out with the std inlet I cant really go any bigger than 60mm DBW so wasnt able to play with that aspect of the update.  
    • We're bringing Pizzas back!! Pizza Runs, to be specific... We had a practice Pizza Run a while ago, and everyone has been screaming for a proper one... So you've asked, and now we're delivering! Since your tastebuds are tingling, feast your eyes on the event details: Date: Saturday 27th July 2024 Meet Location: Parking Lot - 1 Parkview Dr, Sydney Olympic Park Meet Time: Meet at 5.30pm for a 6.00pm departure Destination: Talotta's Pizzeria, 1-3 Bridges St, Kurnell Map: https://tinyurl.com/saunsw-talottas  We'll meet at the carpark on the corner of Parkview Drive and Australia Avenue in Sydney Olympic Park. When we leave the parking lot, we'll head down Australia Ave, and turn right onto Homebush Bay Drive at the large roundabout near DFO. As soon as we turn onto Homebush Bay Drive, we will be turning left onto the M4 to drive through the new M4/M8 tunnel! Everyone loves a bit of RB action through a tunnel.... We'll exit the tunnel at the Gardener's Road exit, and turn onto Princes Highway, where we'll follow it onto Rocky Point Road and then onto Taren Point Road. Once we reach Miranda, we'll turn left onto Captain Cook Dr, where we'll continue on straight until we reach Talotta's Pizzeria for some pizza goodness!!! There is a small carpark at the destination. Limited spaces are available, but there will be plenty of street parking in front of Talotta's There will be a lead and follow car so no one should get lost. If you would like to attend or bring others along please put your name down and a +1 as numbers will be needed prior! This is NOT a race and we will all be adhering to all road rules. If this is what you want please come to one of our track days. This is an official SAUNSW event and will be run under a Motorsport Australia permit. One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAU:NSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there!