SAU Community

What Oil Should I Use For Running In Motor?

Hi all...

Just in the process of rebuilding my motor.

2 questions...

1..... Should I use 'running in' oil for the first 1000kms or so?

2..... What is a good grade of oil to use for the RB25DET motor?

Please don't give me a response if your just guessing.. I need a solid reply from someone who really knows the best oil for this motor.

Thanks...

Thanks..

ok.. point taken.. let me refrase my question... I'm after an answer from someone who has used and oil for this motor and has been happy with it.

My main concern is whether or not to bother using a running in oil or just go straight to the oil that I will use for every day use once it's run in??

Everyone has a difference in opinion so if anyone has been there and done that, let me know..

Thanks

I use running in oil, drop it out after about 100 km and change the oil filter . I refill with the same stuff for another 400-500 km then drop it out and change the filter again and use mineral oil for the next 2 oil changes about 6 k k's then use synthetic oil on the next change .

5w40 or 10w50 , but it will depend on what you use your car for .

i use motul 300 V comp oil for the lot it cost alot but i rather spend the dosh on it and a trust oil filter or K&N oilfilter to run it in i rather spend the extra to ensure my motor will be in tip top form,

I have used the same basic running in process for lots of years and on many engines;

Castrol GTX (the basic no frills mineral oil) with new filter.

Run engine for about 1/2 hr or until well warm.

Change oil filter. Engines can have particles in them that acccumulate during the build/maching proces and they need to be removed from the engine ASAP, these are caught in the oil filter. If you leave them in, the oil filter can get blocked and so it will be bypassed ie; no filtering.

Check the basic tune on the dyno or on the road with portable lambda sensor.

Drive to Bathurst and back, around 500k's, lots of varying conditions, up and down hills, freeway, long climbs etc. Don't rev the beegeesus out of it, gentle but firm, change throttle openings often, no slogging it in high gears with lots of throttle and load it up with partial throttle openings going up hills.

Drain the GTX and remove the oil filter.

Refill with Castrol Formula R Synthetic 10W60 and fit a new oil filter.

Do leak down test, if OK then final tune on the dyno.

Go racing

:D Cheers :(

Edited by Sydneykid

Guest Mashrock

mineral oil for about 500km's

and again for about another 1000km

then redline oil. or an oil of your choice

and what was said above about running it in. the driving style

Edited by Mashrock