SAU Community

New headunit but still poor radio reception

spudtatoe

I replaced the aftermarket headunit that was already in my stagea with another aftermarket one (old one had shitty reception too)
After connecting all the wires to the correct place the signal is still crappy. I understand that the antenna booster needs power? (the blue wire?) or should I be powering it using the red power wire? 

I'm lost with that so i thought I would try using a bit of wire as the antenna but turns out you can't do that because the headunit doesn't power on unless the original hardwired antenna is plugged in (wtf) 

Any help appreciated.. 

30 minutes ago, slimjezuz said:

I replaced the aftermarket headunit that was already in my stagea with another aftermarket one (old one had shitty reception too)
After connecting all the wires to the correct place the signal is still crappy. I understand that the antenna booster needs power? (the blue wire?) or should I be powering it using the red power wire? 

I'm lost with that so i thought I would try using a bit of wire as the antenna but turns out you can't do that because the headunit doesn't power on unless the original hardwired antenna is plugged in (wtf) 

Any help appreciated.. 

Some Nissan actually use the chassis as earth (my sister 350z). Make a new proper earth and see if the Headunit will turns on without the antenna plug in? Once that works then just wire the booster together with the ignition wire.

56 minutes ago, West said:

Some Nissan actually use the chassis as earth (my sister 350z). Make a new proper earth and see if the Headunit will turns on without the antenna plug in? Once that works then just wire the booster together with the ignition wire.

Got the new earth and thats good but even with powering the booster it was still terrible quality, so I just made up a piece of wire to use as the antenna, it's not the best but it'll do