SAU Community

My Rb30de

i will do cams and computer later on when i can afford.

im going to be almost broke once the engine is rebuilt i found out today.

its going to cost about $1700 plus parts. so im guessing about $2000-$2200

that work is:

ballancing crank 150ish, some crank grind thing on the ends so it dont piss out oil 300ish i think.

the rb25de pistons swapped on to the rb30e rods $66

flywheel skimmed and clutch fitted, not sure

bores honed $72 , piston groves machined

and the long block assembeled. $580

there is more but i cant rember anymore.

(note these are quoted prices so im hoping that it will end up being cheeper then what they have said.)

parts that there supplying.

rb30e head gasket,

bottom end gaskets,

new piston rings.

cam belt idler and tensiner and a few other misc things

if i had better skills and more trust in myself then it would have been alot cheeper to rebuild the motor. but then i dont want it blowing up on me a few thousand ks down the road.

so all up its looking like this will be costing me $4500-$5000 but i will have virtually a new engine and gearbox. comparing to putting a rb25det in the cost is less then it by im guessing about $1000-$2000

and if it was rb30det then im saving about the same if not more.

then i would have a motor that you can never be sure of what is up with it.

once its all finished i know if it was worth it or not.

oh well im gona have a unique car in the end and im still going to love it :P

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok rebuild price update. looking somewhere between $2500 and $3000 thats with a new clutch in there aswell. mm i probly should have keepd the rb30e pistons so i can go turbo later on :) live and learn i guess.

part of the major cost is the oil seals on the crank had a deep grove in them so they had to be welded up and smoothed.

piston rings cost $300

yeah its true how they say get an esitimate of the cost then double it...

i should have shopped around for a price on getting the work done but i thought it was a good price when he first said it...

Edited by BADR33

• 2 weeks later...

sweet. i now have the motor back just under $2700 later...

ill put up what work i got done when i have time to. 250 of that was for a clutch kit so im not gona complain.

post-23121-1138914561.jpg

so now the real work starts :)

the r33 sedan skyline on page one.

heres the run down on the bill.

cylinder hone $72

measure and polish crankshaft $50

CC measureing $50

build up seal track $90 (grove worn in to crank shaft from the rear oil seal)

ailgin piston to rod $66 (i got them to swap pistons so i knew everything was sweet)

check and fit bearings $117

reface stepped flywheel $60

clean ring groves $48

balance crank shaft assembly $350 (they took an awefull lot off some parts of the crank and that was everything from the clutch/flywheel to front pully ballanced)

assemble long block $580

parts

tensioner $42, idler $76, big end bearings $78, main berings $85, ring set $303, head gasket $38, conversion set $42, clutch assembly(rb25det) $234.

for the parts i should have used my mate at repco to get cheep prices on stuff but unfortuantly he was away when i needed him...

yeah it did cost me alot in the end. but i know im going to have a reliable motor. next motor i build im going to have a go at doing most of it myself

um for run in im using a stock rb25de ECU and stock rb25de injectors.

i will probly upgrade to rb25det injectors later on. and i plan on using a link computer as it has pretty much everything that i will need.

all i really need now is some money!!

um for run in im using a stock rb25de ECU and stock rb25de injectors.

i will probly upgrade to rb25det injectors later on. and i plan on using a link computer as it has pretty much everything that i will need.

all i really need now is some money!!

in my rb30de i use rb25det injectors ( 370 cc ) as against 270 cc for rb25de injectors . i also have an apexi safc 2 . oh and a malpassi fuel pressure reg .

Edited by dondesoto

yeah i know you are. ill have to upgrade the rest of it once its all up and running. as long as it will run on the rb25de injectors im happy.

i plan on using the link computer as that is a plug in aftermarket computer.

heres a link to one that was for sale on the local auction site

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=46172313

latest update. pulled the rb20e out today.

post-23121-1139289248.jpg

iv figured out how im going to make the speedo work with the gearbox.

um the rb30 is virtually complete minus a few little bits and bobs but nothing hard.

the rb30 should be bolted in on thursday or friday all going well. and running by the weekend :(

tomorow i will test fit the motor to check for bonnet clearance. ohh getting so close now to having some real power :(

haha cheers guys. Eug you had better be careful with this pic then. that was a test fit to see if it clears the bonnet on non modifyd engine mounts :P.

hopfully tomrow i will have the motor bolted in. its all pretty much ready bar putting the wiring loom in and changing fuel pump plus the exctractors.

so sat is the day it should be in and running im hoping all fingers and toes crossed

post-23121-1139394819.jpg

heya,

Nice build with that rb30de, and thanks for sharing the pics with us. I am planning a similar rebuild in the near future.

From your posts, you seemed to know exactly what was going on with the build, and sourced most of your gear yourself. I was wondering if you can recomend and sites or books with some relevant information.

I'm an aprentice mechanic, so i have a reasonable grasp on the tech. But i have been searching for weeks for info on..

DIfferences in the RB25's from various model skylines.

(I heard there was differences in the series, and the "neo?" had a completly different Variable cam timing opperation..)

Variable cam timing on the RB25's and info on the RB30 conversion here.

I heard that the water galleries on the rb25 head did not line up with the 30 block (just offset) and some machining/matching was required. Is this true?

thanks,

Ak

Edited by AKcustom

http://www.geocities.com/r32_jjc/

download the PDF file on that website and that will tell you everything you need to know. thats what i used to find out. plus i saw another thread by a guy on SAU about how to get the higher compressoin by using rb25 pistons

yeah the inlet side at the front needs modifying. if you saw the rb30 block and the head side by side you would see the difference. all you do is weld up the head.. but thats also showen in the PDF file.

the ideal head that you will use will be a r32 rb25head as everything lines up. r33 rb25de/det head will need the little head mods, rb26 will need mods to the head stud holes. i have no idea about the neo head as i dont think much has been done with them.

yeah sorcing the gear is pretty easy. just post wanted ads on differnt forums and keep your eye out on internet trading sites etc. having a checklist of parts helps too.

my car will hopfully be finishd today as its just in the shop getting extractors now.

so nervous... not sure what to expect... will get the car on the dyno soon as well :P

this motor will be going in to this car in the pic. need a respectiable motor to make it a good car. its possibly the first rb30de in NZ and one of the first rb30s in to a r33 skyline in NZ too.

Hehehe - Don't make assumptions :) In the 90s there were a few RB30DE VL Commodores and R31 GXEs running around with them - even in the Hutt Valley no less!! There was a street machine article in the late 90s detailing how to convert the RB30E -> RB30DE using the RB25DE head, and it captured quite a few peoples imaginations.

I have been quietly watching your build and am very much looking forward to hearing how it goes when it hits the dyno - and your on-road impressions. I've quite fancied the concept for a while now and have never actually checked one out close up :P Shame about the weight of the 4 door R33.... could make quite a sleeper hehehe!!

i never actually clamed to be the only one as i know its getting really common. its just that everybody asks me why im not building a turbo rb30.

i figured nobody would have really spent all that money on a rb30de r33 when the turbo isnt much more. but yeah its differnt and im sure i will be happy.

alot of people are wondering how its going to go and what power it will put out. 4 stud plus the little gts badge on it should make a bit of a sleeper too ;)

lithium are you in wellington? if so im sure once its up and running and its all run in i would be able to arrange a viewing of the rb30.

should be on the dyno in the next month whenever the skyline club organises one. although it will read lower then it actually is cus the dyno is crap from what i have been told. the dyno is speedtech. the same place where my rb20e put out 71rwkw..

im just looking forward to getting my car back :( might be tomorow night or early thursday all going well :P. the extractors held me up cus they had to order a new flange for the front 3 exhuast ports of the manifold as they couldnt reuse the rb20e ones. off my old rb20e coby extractors there going to keep the primarys as they are a good lenght and size for good torque. but they will put on larger secondary pipes to allow for the more gas that will have to pass through.

my last worry is will the car start as i did have to change the hole engine wiring loom. but we shall find out soon enough.

yeah just sorta babling on now i guess. too excited and nervous cus i have no idea what to expect apart from more power and lots of torque :( but can you blame me?

Edited by BADR33

BADR33 - Yeah, I am from Wellington (aka Lith on SkylinesDownunder).. I've met you before - I think I was driving Dan from MIDAS's R32, but now my R33 GTS25t is running I'm usually seen driving that.

I'm guessing if the car is running by Thursday I could be seeing it in the Hutt :P

Anyway, good going on sticking to NA with the car - I think its cool, and it should go pretty good all going well. Definately something a bit different!