SAU Community

Octane Boosters

hi everyone. I was thinking about going to the drags tonight for a bit of fun and was wondering if buying an octane booster to drop into the petrol tank would give me any sort of power gain. i have a previous best time of 13.8 with the same mods as i have now, would half a second off be possible, or would the difference be minute? thanks!

Well no difference in power but my tuner recommends adding a bottle if I was to do a 1/4 mile run or a dyno comp just for the assurance of no detonation, it all depends on how much power your running I suppose.

There was a thread with this asked a while back.

I uploaded a Zoom article where they tested 20+ octane boosters, only one allowed any extra ignition timing.

Might need to run a search if you want to find the article.

Basically they do bugger all and are a waste of money.

try adding toluene

you will have to advance the time drastically though

and yeah, it can take a toll on your car if you push it to hard

it burns alot hotter than petrol

I have been dropping 8L of it into my tank and advancing the timing to around 40 degrees

but yeah, it does give significant gains

just dont add to much

As most people have said - not for power gain - more for insurance. Raises the anti-knock value of the fuel - protection against detonation.

Fast Fours Magazine did a test ages ago with NF Octane Boosetr Racing Formula and Nulon Pro Strength Octane Booster tieing for first place.

Both raised the RON value by 2.8 points.